UKWorkshop Woodworking Forums

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2007, 09:07 
Please do not post in this thread!

I will place photos and info for all pieces of furniture featured in my "interesting pieces of furniture" threads here to form a catalogue or list of what we like/dislike/aspire to.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Digg

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Jan 2007, 09:14 
The first piece is my favourite item of furniture by my personal favourite maker/designer

Becksvoort's 15 drawer cabinet

Chris Becksvoort says:
Quote:
50H x 15W x 14D
My signature piece and personal favorite. With over 190 individual parts and almost 300 dovetails, it represents a fair amount of work. It holds keys, gloves, coins, papers, camera equipment, or even your collection of antique toys.

His webpage is here

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Jan 2007, 23:42 
Hi all

The second piece of furniture in what I hope will be a regular series over a long period of time.

This one was the first suggestion I received from a member in my 'inbox'

All that he told me is that this is one of his all-time, favourite pieces and is a desk made by Nick Chandler when he worked for David Savage.

He says that "For me it has a sort of vitality that makes it feel almost alive."

David Savage's website is here

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jan 2007, 20:41 
Hi all

The third piece of furniture in what I hope will be a regular series over a long period of time.

This one was the second suggestion I received from a member in my 'inbox'

"One of my favourites is an Arts and Crafts desk attributed to EA (Ernest Archibald) Taylor - 1874-1951.

I bought it a couple of years ago and intend to make a stool to match. (TUIT)."

The actual thread is here

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Jan 2007, 21:16 
Hi all

The fourth piece of furniture in what I hope will be a regular series over a long period of time.

This one was another suggestion I received from a member in my 'inbox'

He says:
Here is a suggestion for your design thread. I don't like much of David Savage's work to be honest, but I think he hit the sweet spot with this table.
I love how deceptively simple it seems, but I would imagine that making it would be a challenge because of the chamfer which changes in angle as it travels along the length. I might find out, anyway, as I would really like to attempt to make a table like this when I've cleared my to-do list! I'll use black walnut for mine, though, rather than £1000 worth of Rosewood.

More info may be found here

All are welcome to comment on the pieces and please pm me with links to any photos that you would like featured here and a few lines explaining why

Discussion about thsi piece may be found here

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Jan 2007, 21:06 
Hi all

The fifth piece of furniture in the series.

He says:
It's a Paduak veneered Drinks Cabinet with inlaid Marquetry design in Lace Wood and stained Beech. Highlights by hot sanding. Shellac finish and lacquer. A 'modern' (year or two) pieces by a student.

All are welcome to comment on the pieces and please pm me with links to any photos that you would like featured here and a few lines explaining why

The thread and discussion are here

Post subject: Makepeace chair
PostPosted: 01 Feb 2007, 08:41 
Hi all

The sixth piece of furniture in the series.

All he says is "Don't forget John Makepeace - you know that mind blowing chair in holly"

The discussion on this piece can be seen here

John's work can be seen here:
**REPORT TO MODERATOR****REPORT TO MODERATOR**.johnmakepeacefurniture**REPORT TO MODERATOR**/chairs/millennium.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Feb 2007, 21:31 
The seventh piece of furniture in the series.

This piece is a buffet by David Marks. Buffet 1994, Quilted Maple, Ebony, Wenge, Eastern Maple, 72" x 36" x 20" and is a favourite of our resident saw maker

More about this piece here
**REPORT TO MODERATOR****REPORT TO MODERATOR**.djmarks**REPORT TO MODERATOR**/portfolio/buffet.asp

The discussion thread is here

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Feb 2007, 09:24 
The eighth piece of furniture in the series.

This one was another suggestion I received from a member in my 'inbox' - and yet another chair :D

Here's what they like about it:

Quote:
Hans Wegner's Moller Chair - because it updates and pares down a classical form with such ease, elegance and simplicity, to the extent that I can't see how it could be improved on. It just looks so right. The pinnacle of a great designer's career, I reckon.

HANS J. WEGNER 1990

The chair was drawn for the Møller Centre at Churchill College in Cambridge, and produced by PP Møbler on special request from ship owner, Maersk McKinney Møller, who wanted a cross between PP 105 and PP 240.

Without Møller's request, the chair would probably never have been drawn. And it therefore seems only natural to name after him - the Møller Chair.

PP Møbler produced the chair from 1990 to 1996 in ash with strawbottom seat.

The discussion on this piece is located here

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Feb 2007, 13:44 
The ninth piece of furniture in the series.

This one was another suggestion I received from a member in my 'inbox' - and yet another chair :D

The 'classic' Maloof rocking chair

Note the following is a different chair

This one gives me an opportunity to add one of my own all-time favourite pieces by our own Waterhead37 which I am reminded of when seeing the Maloof piece

More info on the Maloof chair can be found here

More info on Chris's chair can be found here

The original thread and discussion can be seen here

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Feb 2007, 21:53 
The tenth piece of furniture in the series.

This one was another suggestion I received from a member in my 'inbox', and they said:

Quote:
Tony - This was from one of the top UK schools - a student's work. Wych Elm table with tooled leather inlay. Slider in the side apron and matching coasters with leather. Finished with Shellac and Lacquer (unsure how many coats). It was about 4' long I believe.

I liked it when I saw it mainly for the simplicity and the 'warmth' of the piece.
You can put this in if you like - it would be interesting to hear what the others think! It was sold to a client in Oxfordshire some time ago.

The thread and discussion are located here

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2007, 20:14 
Finally, the eleventh piece of furniture in the series.

A table and chair by the Meier Brothers. Black walnut frame
Top fiddleback walnut Trim, inlays, and accents fiddleback maple

Dimensions: L 72"X W 32" X H 30"

More info here

the original thread and discussion can be seen here

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Mar 2007, 22:24 
The event you've all been waiting for - the twelfth piece of furniture in the series.

A nice cabinet by Richard Williams that was suggested by one of our members

More info here

The original discussion and post may be found here

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Apr 2007, 14:23 
Here we go, the 13th piece of furniture in the series, once again suggested by a member who pm'ed me a while back

Quote:
Here is a piece that might provoke discussion - Maker is Zivko Radenkov
I know very little about him other than that he trained under Krenov at College of Redwoods. I would guess from his name that he's of Russian extraction which might account for the stunning (I think ) marquetry (content of rather than execution of - if you see what I mean) I think the marquetry adds something to the possibly rather derivative piece which appears to be very obviously in the style of JK, or at least a style associated strongly with him. The piece in the picture is apparently his latest piece.

The original post and ensuing discussion may be found here

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Apr 2007, 20:29 
Here we are, the 14th piece in the series, once again from my 'inbox'

Quote:
This is Jere Osgood's "Spring Desk" in Indian Rosewood and Ash. Osgood's signature style is the laminated bends that you see here.

There's an article about his bending technique here

Brief Bio here

The original thread and discussion may be found here