UKWorkshop Woodworking Forums

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2007, 20:50 
Here we are, the 15th piece in the series, once again from my 'inbox'

One of our member's favourite pieces, Hans Wegner's Peacock Chair made from Ash, teak and papercord

Website may be found here

All are welcome to comment on the pieces and please pm me with links to any photos that you would like featured here and a few lines explaining why

The original thread and discussion may be found here

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Jun 2007, 19:19 
Sorry all, been very busy lately with work and making things and not had time to post much.

However, here is the 16th piece of furniture for your consideration which was sent to me by one of our members a while back.

The member said:

Quote:
Its not quite in the same league as EG the Barcelona chair, or Alvar Aalto's 402 or 406 chairs but it is nonetheless interesting, and I think it has a timeless appeal about it. It is definateley contempory yet there is an ancient almost egyptian elegance to the proportion's. It has been manufactured with a cnc machine by "Unto This Last" design studio run by 2 French designers out of Brick Lane, London. It is done to a high standard of finish, they operate on a fast turnaround basis, they do each of their pieces to order, with no stocks held. They assemble on site, you collect-no cost's for warehousing, packaging, transport etc, you can watch your pieces being made. Their aim is to create and sell furniture of a high quality at cheap mass production prices, so that lots of ordinary people can afford genuine designer furniture, pretty much in line with the pioneering ethos and aims of the original modernist designers of the early 20th century

All are welcome to comment on the pieces and please pm me with links to any photos that you would like featured here and a few lines explaining why.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Sep 2007, 15:01 
Been a while, but we have the 17th in the series of interesting pieces of furniture for your consideration which was sent to me by one of our members a while back.

The member said:

Quote:
I thought this chair might be a good subject for your interesting pieces of furniture. Its called the 'Ogham Cherry Chair'

I love how the piece is minimalist yet elegant, although it doesn't look very comfortable (the maker assures us it is). Aparantly the lines marked on the back are from an ancient Irish script called 'Ogham', based on the names of trees.

The maker describes how the back is actually two flat pieces cut on to a curve. When they are joined at an angle they create a nice curve for a chair back.

All are welcome to comment on the pieces and please pm me with links to any photos that you would like featured here and a few lines explaining why

The original thread and discussison may be found here

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Dec 2007, 20:53 
OK, here we have the 18th in the series of interesting pieces of furniture for your consideration which was sent to me by one of our members a while back.

The member said:

Quote:
From the Pollaro workshop after Ruhlman. Im a fan of a lot of their stuff and in business terms theyre an interesting setup

The origianl thread and discussion may be found here

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Jan 2008, 10:19 
OK, here we have the 19th in the series of interesting pieces of furniture for your consideration which was sent to me by one of our members a while back.

The member said:

Quote:
I love long case clocks. Their simplicity, their soothing tick-tock, the way they become a part of the family as they are handed down through the generations. But so often they are spoilt by the unnecessary fussiness of their cases, adorned as they are with naff phrases like "Tempus fugit" and ostentatious pillars and furnials. Then one day I saw this long case clock by that Master designer and furniture maker John Makepeace. At last a case so simple, yet so majestic, that really does justice to the movement inside. How I would love to own that clock.

The website is to be found here

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Feb 2008, 11:10 
OK, here we have the 20th in the series of interesting pieces of furniture for your consideration which was sent to me by one of our members a while back.

The member said:

Quote:
I am quite a fan of several pieces made by our Philly and also I like a lot of James Krenov's work, so naturally Philly's Krenovian cabinet sits high up in my list of all time favourite pieces of furniture.
I love the book matching on the drawer fronts and the the doors, and the proportions just seem so right. Having seen this in the 'flesh', I was impressed with the level of finish and the detailing as well as Philly's honesty pointing out little 'defects' and the slight inconsistencies as a a result of using hands such as the slightly uneven chambers round the top.
An outstanding piece of furniture that I wish I had the skill to make.

The website detailing the build is to be found here

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Mar 2008, 13:41 
OK, here we have the 21st in the series of interesting pieces of furniture for your consideration which was sent to me by one of our members a while back.

The member said:

Quote:
The Pondlife Bench is a "love it or hate it" piece of garden furniture by Philip Koomen whose workshop is in the village of Checkendon in South Oxfordshire a few miles from my home.

The original "Pondlife" bench was produced in 1998. It has been described by The Independent as "organic and wildly eccentric" and by Channel 4 as "absolutely beautiful". The Pondlife bench began as a one-off experimental flight of fancy, exploring the relationship between furniture and sculpture. The design aims to create an object that transcends its functional purpose, engaging the user and observer in an unusual aesthetic and tactile experience.

Since 2001, Philip Koomen has been developing the concept as a semi-bespoke range that can be made to order. Following his philosophy of producing sustainable furniture designs he researched the feasibility of using locally sourced timber from Oxfordshire woodlands. He is now able to produce the new range using sweet chestnut thinnings from one of the University of Oxford's managed woodlands. The seats are made from English cedar of Lebanon.

I've had the pleasure of a tour of the facilities and a sit on a similar bench. It's surprising comfortable.

The website showing more of Mr Koomen's work is here
**REPORT TO MODERATOR****REPORT TO MODERATOR**.koomen.demon**REPORT TO MODERATOR**/

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2011, 07:02 
Signed in

I can't see 20th images which You have posted here. Can you show it again? I am really curious to see it.

Post Edited by Moderator:

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2011, 08:01 
Prolific Contributor

3 years ago - people tend to dump their stashes eventually, so photos disappear as they are not kept on the forum server.
Coincidence though - only the other day I was wondering about that weird creepy little table with the bandy legs and short skirt (haven't been able to get it out of my head :shock: ). Can anybody point me to it on the net?

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2011, 10:48 

Jacob wrote:
.....Coincidence though - only the other day I was wondering about that weird creepy little table with the bandy legs and short skirt (haven't been able to get it out of my head :shock: ). Can anybody point me to it on the net?

Can you find it on the original makers site?

http://www.koomen.demon.co.uk/

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2011, 11:18 
Prolific Contributor

CHJ wrote:
Jacob wrote:
.....Coincidence though - only the other day I was wondering about that weird creepy little table with the bandy legs and short skirt (haven't been able to get it out of my head :shock: ). Can anybody point me to it on the net?

Can you find it on the original makers site?

http://www.koomen.demon.co.uk/

Was it Koomen? I couldn't find it on his site.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2011, 11:24 

Jacob wrote:
...Was it Koomen? I couldn't find it on his site.

Well I took it to be as Tony's comment led me to the link:
post256157.html#p256157

Or were you referring to an earlier piece shown in the thread.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2011, 12:42 
Prolific Contributor

No it was another item/maker, but thanks anyway.

PostPosted: 28 May 2012, 06:19 
Prolific Contributor

This thread is a bit quiet. Nobody spotted any nice furniture lately? Surely not.
Some nice chairs here http://www.surolle.se/om-surolle/blogg.html if you scroll down a bit. He's son of Wille Sundqvist author of the famous "Swedish Woodcarving techniques"

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2013, 15:09 
Participant

I have been to some jumblesales and managed to purchase a really nice armchair for a bargain.

Unfortunately I don't have a camera here at the moment, otherwise I would post some pics. But as soon as get ti I will take some pictures and upload them here. Really nice piece, though it needs to be upholstered, of course. but as soon as it is repaired I am sure it will look gorgeous in my flat which I have been re-decorating a lot. The new wall art I bought makes for a real eye-catcher especially :)