Integrity of splits/shakes/checks on bench apron?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyMCFC

Reaction score
Hi all,

New here and would love some advice... the apron on my (pine) bench has a prominent series of small shakes or checks - each one about 2" but together forming a (disjointed) line probably about 18" long. There are a few knots in that area that sort of pulled the grain in opposite directions.

I didn't worry about them - they are only about 1/16" deep in a 2" board, and stop at least a foot or two from the end. If they seemed to be in danger of expanding/lengthening I could put a couple of splines in, but I doubt that will ever be needed. However... I now want to put a few dog/holdfast holes in that area and in an ideal world, would put one or two right through the checks.

So.. I would have a couple of holes either through or close by the checks, like this: Ø Ō (checks are horizontal but it's the best I could do!).

Bad idea, or nothing to worry about? I'm most unsure about the uneven stress of a holdfast on the edges of the hole... but it might well be fine.

andyMCFC":22dq94s8 said:
Hi all,

New here and would love some advice... the apron on my (pine) bench has a prominent series of small shakes or checks - each one about 2" but together forming a (disjointed) line probably about 18" long. There are a few knots in that area that sort of pulled the grain in opposite directions.

I didn't worry about them - they are only about 1/16" deep in a 2" board, and stop at least a foot or two from the end. If they seemed to be in danger of expanding/lengthening I could put a couple of splines in, but I doubt that will ever be needed. However... I now want to put a few dog/holdfast holes in that area and in an ideal world, would put one or two right through the checks.

So.. I would have a couple of holes either through or close by the checks, like this: Ø Ō (checks are horizontal but it's the best I could do!).

Bad idea, or nothing to worry about? I'm most unsure about the uneven stress of a holdfast on the edges of the hole... but it might well be fine.

A photo would help but you may need a few more posts before you can do that.

I think I know the kind of shakes you're talking about, they often occur in that staggered pattern when timber's been whacked through the kiln a bit too quickly.

As long as they are only superficial then you've nothing to worry about. In any event, you could always glue a backing block behind the apron in the vicinity of the dog holes to help carry the load.

Can you get the apron off without too much bother? If you can get it off so you can lay the board horizontally you could fill with filled epoxy. I'd take the opportunity to do all of the splits while you're at it, not just the one that crosses the proposed dog hole.

Since the cracks are shallow and short I think you could be all right with this. If you wanted to reinforce further on either side of the drilled hole you could lay in two keys like this / \ or two butterflies.

"Bad idea, or nothing to worry about? "

The latter.
What's the worse that could happen?
Your apron falls apart and you replace it.

The only danger, and I agree it is a small one, is that the stress concentrations at the tips of the checks could cause a crack to open up under the stress of the holdfast.

You could prevent this, if you wish, by routing a groove with round ends to take out any check, say 4-5 mm deep if your shakes are 3 mm. Then shape a piece of the same wood as the apron to fit snugly (this is surprisingly easy) and glue it in. When dry plane the insert level with the apron.

This would only be needed within about 100 mm of the dog hole. Probably not needed anyway but would minimise the risk of damage to the apron.

Or if you go the filled epoxy route, drill small (say 2 or 3 mm) holes at the ends of the cracks before filling. It is sharp ends of cracks that give the greatest risk, rather than the long open parts.

Back