Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, Charley, CHJ, Noel

By Rhyolith
I find myself needing to look into the dark crevasses of machines with increasing regularity, as such my current flickery inspection light is becoming an annoyance.

I want something small that can be manuevered in tight spaces with a powerful and wide beam, I think at least 200 lumens.

Something I hate on modern lights is all these inbulit functions... you have to click through 5 different modes (like SOS) to get to just “On”. I don’t any of that faffing about, just on/off. This is why I struggle to find anything, all the more expensive (and thus brighter) lights have all these infernal extras.
By Sideways
I bought a couple of little inspection lights from Screwfix just before xmas. They're great. Look for 'lil Larry , yes seriously.
lil larry.jpg

Details:
They are LED using this new technology called COB (chip on board) where you get a big yellow stripe that 's actually lots of individual LED's side by side. It runs of one or two standard alkaline cells. It has two brightnesses (and a flashing red, but hey, I hate these multimode things too and I can live with it for the value and convenience of this thing),
It has a magnet in the end which is handy. Made of aluminium. The light output is ridiculously good and the colour is a decent clean white not some sick green purple blue colour.
They cost about a tenner each.
Screwfix sell ones from the "Nebo" brand. There are other clones on ebay that are a couple of pounds cheaper but I like the quality of these for the price.
There is a bigger one too but I like the small size and they don't seem to give away much in brightness.
By Rorschach
Thanks, you just reminded me to order a new light. My old AA powered ones are just not up to snuff anymore and are bulky. I have larger worklights and mains powered lamps, I wanted something more compact making use of new LED tech.

Took a punt on one of these, I like the USB recharge function and I have a good stock of 18650 to replace/upgrade if needed. Should be a good compact solution for my needs.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Waterproof-C ... 2749.l2649
By Andy K
Another vote for the Larry range. I have both sizes, the "big" ones for in my vehicles and a couple "lil" ones for general tool box/workshop use and often slip one in a coat pocket for nighttime walks.

They do have more than one function but the first click is the one you want most often ie the brightest light, second is a dimmer white, third is flashing red, finally off.
By Rhyolith
I can probably cope with the dimmer setting as thats sometimes nice if its a powerful light and you don’t always want the glare. However I cannot be dealing with the flashing modes, have had torches with before and find them infuriating. Same goes for red lights, its just something I never need thats annoying to flick through.
By custard
Sideways wrote:I bought a couple of little inspection lights from Screwfix just before xmas. They're great. Look for 'lil Larry , yes seriously.
lil larry.jpg

There's a coincidence. A heating engineer was at my house a few weeks ago working on the boiler, he had one of those and I was so impressed I went down to Screwfix and got one myself!
By Bm101
Those lil larry lamps look good for the money...
Plumber was at mine ranting about his new makita lamp and it seemed very positive with useful functions. Excellent lamp. The sparks was convinced enough to stop off and buy one on the way home.
Three times the price of the first option and depends if you run makita. Will cost you £30 + naked. Probably a trade option really. Still. Worth posting just in case.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Makita-DML801- ... 1CAWN1ZG4K
My firm just bought me a no name headtorch (Chinese, obvs) for work. It has no less than 5 led lamps lol. It's rechargeable by car charger usb.
My god it's bright. Not sure how long it will last before it melts my brain but if anything can signal aliens to finally get in touch it will be this head torch messing up their flight patterns 170 000 light years away.
:shock:
By Paddy Roxburgh
Not strictly an "inspection light", but I can't recommend these highly enough. https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p80137?table=no . It is by far the most useful addition to my workshop in years. I have it with me all day at work, in the workshop and the dock, I have dropped it billions of times, even dropped it in the river when it was on, got it out with a boat hook, still worked fine. Charges from normal mini USB and lasts all day (I don't have it on all day, just when I really need to see stuff). They're brilliant
By Rhyolith
Been doing some more research and it really looks like all modern light of any caliber have these annoying modes.

As any heard of Thrunite? They make this which seems exactly what I want bar the modes: http://www.theoutdoornerd.com/2015/10/r ... a-edc.html Its got a much more beefy 200 - 257 lumen output, which is more the kinda of power I am looking for.

The lil larry looks very good for the money, 250 lumens apparently. It just that silly red flashing mode... The Thrulight only has different brightnesses, with the other modes ‘hidden’, which is quite benefit to me.
By oakfield
I think a lot of these torches with multi functions can be altered to have less modes or even just one. If you can get to the chip I think you need to cut a link or resolver a wire. I remember seeing the details somewhere.
By oakfield
Just had a quick look and found a couple of things to try - one is scribbling on the back of the capacitor with a pencil - apparently this should remove the memory so it always starts on the same function.
https://www.canbike.org/information-tec ... modes.html

The other suggestion is to link a couple of pins. Which turns it into a single mode torch.
https://devjoe.com/2014/09/20/cree-led- ... k68-clone/
By Sideways
Reminder to self - don't open a new tab to check details of something while writing a reply - machine just ditched my draft !
To the OP, I haven't handled Thrunite lights but have heard of them. They are reputable.
If you are interested in this kind of better quality light, I can recommend Fenix from personal experience and suggest you look at the range by zebralight too.
Please be aware that lights can be deliberately designed to have a very tight, bright spot for lighting up things at a distance, or at the opposite extreme, a very broad flood with less reach. The models in your link all seem to focus the light quite tightly. Great for checking the roof of a house but maybe not for crawling in / under machinery. At close range, a LED can be useable without any reflector at all.
By Tasky
I have a Fenix. It's overpriced cack, made worse by requiring a pair of CR123 cells that only Maplins seem to stock.

For big things I use an Ultrafire WF501B, whioch is about the size of a chisel handle and puts out near 1,000 lumens from a single 18650.

For inspecting machines, engines, PCs and the like I have a little AAA-powered thing from Maplins, about the size of my finger. Bright enough to use when taking the dogs walking in the forest at night, but not so much that reflective surfaces blind you!
By Sideways
Ahh, sorry to hear that fenix has let you down. Shows that we can only go off our own experience, mine's an old one bought 6 odd years ago exactly because it takes ordinary AA's and it's very solid.
CR123 ARE dear. The original high power (filament) police and military flashlights made by Surefire used two or three of them at a time and burnt through a set in an hour or less - that's how they made a light the size of a mars bar outgun a 4 cell maglite in the days before anyone could make a high power LED.
By Rhyolith
It looks like most of the penlights have more focused beams and I agree thats not ideal for close up work.

Found this, anyone any expierence with Sealey stuff?
https://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/Sea ... ithium-Ion
Its got quite impressive specs, 400 lumens and I think the only extra mode is a torch at thr front. I’d rather it work off AAs but have live with an inbuilt re-chargable battery.