Inlay Finished

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltrout512

Established Member
Reaction score
Have been working on some inlay to go onto the front of a draw. A couple of photos to look at.

001-6.jpg

004-6.jpg

This has taken a little bit of time, but I think it's paid off.

Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. Well done. It looks just right.

Lovely, but I think some will have a little lecture for you ..... will they or won't they?

The customer has a connection with Guinness, so I don't see that there is a problem. I made sure that it was ok before starting. If I hadn't done so yes Doctor you are quite right in what you say.

Thanks for all your comments. I will when the unit is finished post up some more photos.

The main verneer is wenge with maple for the letters, numbers and harp. Letter size 38 mm high, numbers 20mm high, harp 47mm * 32mm The harp is stained with nitric acid.(used to antique colour stringing). I must say that the wenge was difficult to work with, but got there in the end.

It's the Wenge I was referring too ......... :D :D and in all honesty they made a very valid point about how endangered it is, I will have a rethink on the next project I am offered which involves endangered species

Doctor":1s76dq3c said:
It's the Wenge I was referring too ......... :D :D and in all honesty they made a very valid point about how endangered it is, I will have a rethink on the next project I am offered which involves endangered species

Good on you Doc, a brave move but one that should give you a warm feeling inside =D>

Right, this looks like teasing to me!!

It's no good just posting the finished job leaving us clueless how you set about it! If you've carved this out with a sharpened screwdriver it is the best piece of work I've seen for a while...........If you lasered it out with a £500,000 machine I'm not impressed at all. Come on.......spill the beans!

Mike

Thanks for all the comments. This is the first commission where inlaying has been involved. The customer has seen the draw front for the first time this morning and he is more than happy with the result. It had been left to me what design for the inlay. So I was on the nervous side when I took it round for a dry fit and measure up what is going to be kept in the draw.
I will post some more photos as the rest of the box comes together.
Thanks again for the comments.

Mike Garnham":gh2x0o2o said:

It's no good just posting the finished job leaving us clueless how you set about it! If you've carved this out with a sharpened screwdriver it is the best piece of work I've seen for a while...........If you lasered it out with a £500,000 machine I'm not impressed at all. Come on.......spill the beans!

Mike

Machines capable of doing that start at £6k...

Aidan

Haven't tried this yet on our £15k laser... ermm, hope nobody from work reads this...

Aidan

Mike I'm not the sort of bloke to bull. Doesn't get you anywhere. I spend a lot of time working on commissions then tend to show the finished article. (time is money) This inlay I did by hand. (nearly all by hand) I did use my scroll saw to cut out the letters etc. Saw cost second hand £75.00. Once the letters were cut out, they were glued onto the background verneer. When dry a scalpel was used to mark the outline. Glue warmed back up lift the letters and then carry on using the scalpel to remove waste. Just like that. No CAD No Lasers Just hands and scalpel, Oh and a fair bit of time.

It is hard to see but the dates not covered by tape have not been cut out yet.
041-2.jpg

Look at the harp top right hand side. It lifted when I was scraping flush and broke off. New cross piece cut and fitted. Thats why there are two join lines either end of the harp.

Back