Improved Blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim evans

Reaction score
Why cant we develop blades with a longer life? I tend to be cutting metal and get really fed up with changing blades every five minutes!
Does anyone remember the Abarafile hardened blades?Perhaps they could be adapted for scroll sawing?

I find that slowing the stroke speed helps lengthen the life of blades dramatically. Although it does make cutting slower, the difference surprisingly doesn't seem to be proportional.

Having changed many blades which seem to still be sharp but won't cut, I've come to the conclusion based on no scientific research whatsoever that the big enemy of blade longevity isn't wear, but heat. My theory is that the more slowly you cut, the less heat is generated so the blades retain their temper. Of course, this could easily be complete baloney :) !

It would be great if someone was to incorporate a temperature sensor which alerted us when a blade got too hot.

Gill

I've never heard of anyone using PTF spray but there's no harm in experimenting.

However, the mention of lubrication has reminded me that sticking lo-tack masking tape to the surface of the workpiece helps extend blade longevity and reduces the risk of burning. The non-sticky surface of the tape is coated with an undetectable lubricant which coats the scrollsaw blade as it cuts through.

Although I use this technique as a matter of course, I overlooked it until I read Dom's suggestion :oops: :) .

Gill

Back