Importing Planer Thicknesser from China

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mick

Reaction score
Hello,

Does anyone have any experience importing a P/T or a similar tool from China? Any advice such as things to look for when buying would be appreciated!

I was looking for a 12"/310cm wide cast iron table P/T with a spiral cutter block, and the ones I found in the UK/EU market are well over £2k

There's an OEM factory that makes Charnwood W590 in China. I could get the same P/T unbranded with 56-blade spiral blocks for £1,150 delivered to Felixstowe + 22.7% import VAT/Duty + a pallet delivery cost within the UK

Very similar 12" model of that type are Startrite SD31 and JET JPT310

My only concern, for now, is the warranty which is allegedly 1 year

Before you pull the trigger, just imagine that it all goes wrong and you have to fund the (insured, tracked) shipping back to China to get it replaced. How much of your saving will that wipe out and what delay / risk are you taking on ?
I assume based on weight that a PT won't be going in a plane, it will be in a mixed container with who knows what other goods on the deck of a container ship for a few weeks. Plenty of opportunities for loss, damage and delay in transit if you aren't experienced and don't have a good shipping agent on your side.
My experience of delivery services is generally good but it sometimes seems a nightmare getting something returned overseas in case of fault.

Not sure i would be going down that route,Could be real hassle if some thing is wrong with item.

Thank you, everyone!
Agree, it does make sense to get one locally and those extra few hundred pounds could be a little price to pay to avoid potential headaches.

I might go for a standard cutter block but source a PT locally.

What do you think the pros and cons are of the following models or any others 12" P/T under £2k?

JET JPT310
Startrite SD31
Scheppach Plana 4.1C
Axminster AT129PT

Accuracy, durability, low noise and low maintenance are the important things.
I'm a little picky :)

Thank you!

p.s. that Chinese factory was found on Alibaba. Our Agent did go there to inspect them, but their "sales" team are clueless about what they sell, or maybe it's a language barrier? In any case, it puts me off.

I bought a secondhand Startrite SD31 from Felder/Hammer in Milton Keynes 6 or 7 years ago. They had taken it as a trade in against one of there own new machines.
I bought it to replace a second Sedgwick MB planer thicknesser I had owned for a year and could just not get on with. Noisey, heavy and never could set it up 100%.
I am very pleased with the machine. It is far quieter than the Sedgwick, is easy enough for me to move around on a castor set-up, cuts well, extracts effectively with a JET 1100 etc. I wish I had bought it before the Sedgwick.

Colin

Thank you Colin for the feedback. SD31 is actually number one on my list. It ticks all the boxes for P/T in its price range.

I've read Startrite only does industrial machines, so it should be sturdy, accurate and last very long. Will take a look at one next week.

Do you find the 2.2kw motor powerful enough when you feed a 12" wide stock (soft/hardwood)?
Also, do you often find yourself hand-planing your final product after thicknessing it with SD31 (ie. ripples, tearouts)?

Thanks

It will take a cut on a 12" wide board, but you can obviously not do so to maximum depth of cut.
Machined timber is virtually free of any ripple and snipe/pull in/feed out not generally evident on boards.
I find I go from machine to marking out and only give a light sand following glue up. If using a wide board for a shelf etc I automatically give it a very light belt sand with a 180 grit belt before surface finish is applied.

Only drawbacks I have noted are blade retaining grub screws are expensive. Also take a note of the drive belt size before you break it. Genuine replacements are expensive but if you know the size quality independents are readily available for a fraction of the cost. I speak from experience.

Colin

Colin

Hello,

Does anyone have any experience importing a P/T or a similar tool from China? Any advice such as things to look for when buying would be appreciated!

I was looking for a 12"/310cm wide cast iron table P/T with a spiral cutter block, and the ones I found in the UK/EU market are well over £2k

There's an OEM factory that makes Charnwood W590 in China. I could get the same P/T unbranded with 56-blade spiral blocks for £1,150 delivered to Felixstowe + 22.7% import VAT/Duty + a pallet delivery cost within the UK

Very similar 12" model of that type are Startrite SD31 and JET JPT310

My only concern, for now, is the warranty which is allegedly 1 year
Caveat emptor….. don’t forget the leadtime too, upto 7 months from some factories in China plus 2 months shipping time for LCL shipments.

I don't mind putting in a bit of work on a used machine, so my view is skewed a bit, but that's the path I'd take.
The UK has a long tradition of making decent cast iron machines. I doubt an Asian-made machine in your price range could
come even close to what I see people sell on ebay.
I'd be on the lookout for a 12", 3 phase unit, which are quite inexpensive and replace the motor with a single phase one.
(If 3 phase is an issue)

Back