Ikea style storage unit( new pics added)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnf

Established Member
Reaction score
My daughter asked me to make a storage system to fit her congested kitchen so we designed and came up with this .

It fits round a external corner floor to ceiling so had to be made in two parts and joined on the corner

I am waiting for the colour so i can paint it and install then finished YIPEE :lol: :lol: :lol:
P1010350.jpg

P1010351.jpg

Excellent John. That looks like a complex job. Looking forward to seeing it with the colour.

That does look great! What is the method of construction, is that dominos I can see?

Chems":3pzt8lfd said:
That does look great! What is the method of construction, is that dominos I can see?

Dowells
I used a joint genie some blind and some right through and yes it does test your patience

Very neat. No back to it though - or is that just not fitted yet? Hope the walls are nice and true otherwise - I wouldn't fancy scribing all that lot to fit a wobbly wall ;)

Pete

petermillard":2434k4tc said:
Very neat. No back to it though - or is that just not fitted yet? Hope the walls are nice and true otherwise - I wouldn't fancy scribing all that lot to fit a wobbly wall ;)

Pete

The walls are ok the idea is the paint is the same colour as the walls to lessen the impact

Looks good John. What thickness MDF did you use?

Even in two pieces it looks a heavy bit of furniture to move. Watch your back! I've used IKEA units of a similar design with dowelled joints but they were a lot thicker material and very heavy to get into position. Managed to slip a disc!

Regards Keith

Hi John,
Coincidentally having just read about your project I was approached to make a very similar unit, albeit with different sized storage spaces. I was wondering how to make the joints as my usual method of biscuits and screws wont work as they need to be invisible.
Would you recommend the Joint Genie for the job? I had not heard of it before your post. It seems a lot less outlay than buying a domino and quite simple to use according to the manufacturers.

Very nice job by the way.

Thanks.
LB

petermillard":1berv2cq said:

Pete

Wot he said!

I'd put backs on in 6mm MDF painted the colour of the walls.

Looks good, though.

Looks great, and the way you've made it is similar to the way we make things at the workshop.

LB - a dowelling jig can be a cheap price, however industrially there are much more expensive bits of kit available! http://www.delmac.com/product_hbd1300.htm This machine is far superior to the one we have at our workshop, the one we have is a basic horizontal setup with adjustable fence, and foot pedal operated.

LB

the joint genie is a really useful bit of kit loads cheaper than a domino easy to use I used 50mm long dowels for the cross joints and 30mm for the end joints

Brad the walls are nice and true so no back needed (looks good though) high praise from the MDF maestro

Keith mdf is 18mm and yes it weighs a ton good job it's in two bits

I don't know John I thought the pictures showed off the units very well, your daughter must be proud.

Thats great, that type of painted, portable to fix, hidden fixing method furniture is sometimes harder than fine furniture and you've done a great job!

Back