If I wanted to learn Blacksmithing, where do I start?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhyolith

Established Member
Reaction score
I like what little metal work I have done (a little at school and more recently a 1 week welding course). I also hope the recent purchase of a ML4 Lathe will increase my metal working capability once I get it set up in the summer.

The idea of blacksmithing really appeals, I would to know more about metals and how to manipulate them. Is basic blacksmithing something you can teach yourself? If not any places to learn it that don't cost a fortune and/or take mouths? Bare in mind I know nothing about this and maybe massively underestimating how hard blacksmithing is.

Any other areas of metalworking that are good/better for the home dabbler? (I do plan to get some welding kit at some point...).

If you fancy a weekend away, West Dean College near Chichester does one day taster and longer short courses. Nice place to visit too.

Fransham Forge in Dereham do a blacksmithing course.

Ferric Fusion in Carmarthen also do a blacksmithing course.

Both on one of your doorsteps. :-D

Blacksmithing is fun, as long as you're using mild steel, and making shapes. Bit like moulding plasticine, only with a hammer. Aslong as you don't melt your unfinished piece into a puddle...

When you get into bladesmithing, and high carbon steel, it gets tricky.

BugBear (made lots of stuff on the rather nice forge the school had)

Camden Miniature Steam Services ( http://www.camdenmin.co.uk ) have a huge range of books on all sorts of modelmaking and 'craft' metalwork, including foundry practice and forge work. Well worth a rummage around their website.

(Edit to add - Curses! Just checked the website, and under 'Blacksmithing' they have 'No products currently available' - for the first time in about twenty years! The other categories are worth a glance, though - especially with the ML4 in mind.)

I did a 2 1/2 day course a few years back, it cost £275. It was one of the best weekends I've had and was really good fun. There were 8 of us on the course and we all came away with the three items we made over the weekend, plant hanger, rat tail poker and rams head toasting fork.

A local (to me) agricultural college does blacksmithing and offers evening or 1 day courses. Maybe something similar in your area? I do think it's worth getting at least a few hours tuition to learn the basics, much easier to have someone show you and could save hours of frustration and disappointment trying to figure it out on your own, even with youtube.
It should be quite possible to rig up a small forge if you can weld.
If you can;t find a course them maybe you ask a local blacksmith to spend a few hours with you?

seek out a local blacksmith and go swing for him, hee hee hammer that is. I was lucky we had a well equipped forge and a brazing hearth at school and got hours of decent tuition. The are plenty of you tube videos.
Funnily enough I have a mobile forge that will be refurbished this year as soon as I can get across my sea of mud.

new bellows wanted

The whole thing needs a good wirebrush and coat of heatproof paint, as well as the treadle and bellows sorted and a new Tue. Then my existing brazing hearth does not need converting. It is a grand hobby that allows you to make many of your own tools depending on your skill level.
After that I really need to get my casting furness refurbished and back into operation. I have a campsite in Devon, anyone who comes down during the summer is welcome to come and have a play at your own risk!

Thanks for the info everyone! I think I might try out one of these short courses in the summer. I will actually be back in Norfolk then so that Dereham one is looking good :)

Is Carmarthen (Fenric Fusion) the nearest to Aberystwyth? Anything near Machynlleth as well would be handy too.

I terms of having a Forge at home, what is needed? I am keen to avoid anything powered by gas if possible (or practical).

Rhyolith":3969xyei said:
In terms of having a Forge at home, what is needed? I am keen to avoid anything powered by gas if possible (or practical).

I think most traditional blacksmiths still use Coke beans in their forges these days. Farriers on the other hand may favour gas. Charcoal is another option but it is consumed quite quickly. I did see a Blacksmith at a craft show who used a mixture of Coke and charcoal in his forge.

Ok, what about the Forge itself (Actual structure), I am assuming there is more to it then a hole with fire in ;)

Back