I thought I'd have a look around

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ebay must love all the money you're spending with them !!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

ColeyS1":3nvhhxjr said:
Ebay must love all the money you're spending with them !!

I don't pay much for em...

They'll never go back into a manufacturing process as they won't meet any kind of machinery directives...

Is the plan to get them all up and running ? What sort of money might a moulder like that go for ? Just wondering if it'd be worth buying old machinery then spending a bit to make it up to regs. Probably built a lot better than the modern equivalents !

ColeyS1":1p773wvb said:
Is the plan to get them all up and running ? What sort of money might a moulder like that go for ? Just wondering if it'd be worth buying old machinery then spending a bit to make it up to regs. Probably built a lot better than the modern equivalents !

Well...
I don't like talking 'how much was it'...

But it's OK...i had to pay £200 for that...its way beyond what I'd normally pay...but they're rare are these now...so I committed...

I don't know where you stand but I grab this stuff where I can...as all that seems to matter now is:

"do I get free roaming"...and:

"is there any WiFi charges"...

I'm all about saving a slice of our industrial heritage...and I'm finding myself having to travel further to procure it...
But to me it's a price worth paying...

To summarise:

Eventually when I gets too old to use any of this...I'd rather give them away to someone who I thought would use em...and enjoy them...rather than sell em to someone who I thought would just be after a quick few quid return...and simply didn't give a shyte...

I think modern spindles are subject to instabrakes...and a factory inspector would take a dim view of lineshaft belts etc...

For home use I'd say the older stuff was ideal...but don't kid yourself it might not look much but it's brutally heavy and you'd need a solid floor to mount it...

I think anyone that so feels inclined should get out there...look in them old yards...search the old workshop's....

Let's get this older stuff saved...

Once its gone...its gone...

You can't get it back...

See who can spot the problem with the first table saw here..

Look closely:

Screenshot_20171203-164418-240x427.png

I'll give a clue:

'blade'

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171203-164418-240x427.png
    Screenshot_20171203-164418-240x427.png
    141.8 KB · Views: 52
I've plenty more stuff to see...

But it'll take time to drag it out...

I've 3 wood lathes...and a nice hollow chisel mortiser...

You did well to get £150 off the asking price of that moulder.

ColeyS1":3epkyz8d said:
You did well to get £150 off the asking price of that moulder.

I take it you were one of those watching it

It was actually a bit more than £200

But I don't like discussing 'how much' on forums...nor anywhere else for that matter...

I wasn't watching it. Just thought I'd have a look on ebay to see what prices belt driven machines go for. I think if I were to factor in making health and safety happy, there wouldn't be much difference in buying new vs old. They look fantastic machines though. I've got an old belt driven table saw in my garden as an ornament.

ColeyS1":2qpzfvuy said:
I wasn't watching it. Just thought I'd have a look on ebay to see what prices belt driven machines go for. I think if I were to factor in making health and safety happy, there wouldn't be much difference in buying new vs old. They look fantastic machines though. I've got an old belt driven table saw in my garden as an ornament.

They're OK for home use...not suitable where there's employee's...as you'd never get insured for em...

Like I says...theres minimum guarding (if at all), no instabrakes and certain types of cutter blocks are known for nipping finger ends off and throwing knives...

I've an early design of flashtapper...
Run upto 20mm tap...

I've got several mechanical hacksaws...and a lineshaft driven surface grinder...

Oh, and I've a pedestal grinder...a large one with a 18" capacity...thats for lineshaft running too...

There's no makers name on the first table saw...

But looking at it I think it's possibly a Cooksley...

Any ideas...?

Update:

The first table saw is possibly a DALTON

The second one I think is a J. A. FAY & CO.

Just wanted to say thank you for taking the time to pull out the machines, taking photo's and uploading them, it's fascinating to see them! I have a love of properly made machinery, which usually means it's older than me and your collection is just off the scale!

Sparks73":gj6cg0co said:
See who can spot the problem with the first table saw here..

Look closely:

I'll give a clue:

'blade'

Whoever had mounted that blade had done so the wrong way round...

I mean for the love of christ.... [-( ](*,) :-|

Just got a small table saw which will be ideal for cross cutting with a fine blade...

Pics to follow...

Just got an old Danarm chainsaw...
One with a chain brake...quite rare so I've been told...

It's for restoration...

Latest posts

Back