I really need a saw set..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooby

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got a 14tpi saw that desperately needs setting and I can't find my Somax setter. No problem, I'll order a new one but nowhere seems to have them in stock. The lost one was from classic hand tools (with a dictum price sticker on), neither of those have them in stock now. Classic hand tools don't even list them on there site, dictum and fine tools are out of stock.

Can anyone point me to a good alternative please? I've seen spear & jackson do one but it doesn't say anything about teeth size. Buying a second hand one off ebay isn't an option. I haven't used that god forsaken place for years and don't plan to anytime soon.
Thanks
Jon

Im not allowed on there. It woukd coat me too much.

Please dont my wife ive been on their, she'll take my bottle away from me (hick).

novocaine":172ac87w said:

I didn't realise Ben had such a big vintage store now, I always thought it was a little side gimmick to take along to shows to accompany the guitars while making a little money from being there. Not bad prices neither, definitely fair for most of the stuff.

Surprised he doesn't get tempted to keep it all :lol:

How about this to get you going in double-quick time and without spending a penny?

9MQJrU0.jpg

Judging by the typesetting this looks to be from one of the later editions of an Evans pocket guide so I think this is courtesy of St. Charles of Hayward.

There's also this option from Paul Sellers. Poor-man’s Saw Tooth Setter (tutorial and video)

If hammer setting doesn't appeal the earlier style of notched saw set could easily be bodged up from a strip of metal with a hacksawed groove in the edge.

Thanks ED

I made a jig similar to the drawing from a scrap of oak bevelled skirting. Poor eyesight aside (magnification needed if I use this method again) it turned out ok. No binding after 1/4" and haven't noticed any veering.

You can use a screwdriver to twist the set into place. A la Frank Klausz.
I've never tried it, but I am sure it will work.

John (hammer)

scooby":11io96l6 said:
I've got a 14tpi saw that desperately needs setting and I can't find my Somax setter. No problem, I'll order a new one but nowhere seems to have them in stock. The lost one was from classic hand tools (with a dictum price sticker on), neither of those have them in stock now. Classic hand tools don't even list them on there site, dictum and fine tools are out of stock.

Can anyone point me to a good alternative please? I've seen spear & jackson do one but it doesn't say anything about teeth size. Buying a second hand one off ebay isn't an option. I haven't used that god forsaken place for years and don't plan to anytime soon.
Thanks
Jon

TFrench is selling an Eclipse saw set on UKW:

post1301003.html#p1301003

Back