I need a chuck

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian18741

Established Member
Reaction score
As the title says, I'm looking for a chuck for my lathe. Occasionally use it for spindle work but want to have a go at some bowls. Don't know anything about chucks really. 3 jaw vs 4 jaw and why? The lathe spindle is M24. TIA!

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

Hi, try ringing Axminster Tools they make very good chucks, and they have a variety of spindle sizes.
I suggest you buy a 4 chuck.

I've used a Roy Sorby Patriot and a Record Power SC4. They are pretty similar all things considered (in my opinion).

If i had to choose between them I'd go for the Patriot it just feels like a better quality tool (again only my opinion).
I now only use the SC4, as i got a new lathe and the Patriot doesn't fit, I could easily get the adaptor, but the SC4 is more than up to anything I have thrown at it so far.

The vicmarc chucks are also worth a look, particularly if you import them from timberbits in Australia.

The value of sterling may spoil this option at the moment.

Don't want to hijack the thread, and it's on topic I think - has anyone tried both Record Power's SC3 and Axminster SK80? RP is way cheaper, not Stainless, but their kit comes with the size jaws I want for small bowls, unlike the Axi kit which has bigger jaws.
Is the RP chuck good?
C

Brian18741":2yuioerz said:
As the title says, I'm looking for a chuck for my lathe. Occasionally use it for spindle work but want to have a go at some bowls. Don't know anything about chucks really. 3 jaw vs 4 jaw and why? The lathe spindle is M24. TIA!

For safe retention of wooden pieces you need a 4 Jaw Self centering Scroll Chuck with appropriate Dovetail or spigot accessory jaws.

A engineering style 3 jaw chuck will not hold wood components safely for 90% of wood turning activities. (too small a contact area compressing wood)

You will have great difficulty in locating a currently available chuck with the thread you have, if it's 24mm x 3mm then lathes that used that thread were Arundel K450/K600/M230 and Luna.

Do you have any faceplates that fit your spindle? if so it is reasonably easy to adapt one to hold the currently available VesaChuck Body (from The Toolpost)
ChuckReg.JPG

Attachments

• ChuckReg.JPG
    ChuckReg.JPG
    150.4 KB · Views: 627
There is also a 24*2mm inset available from vicmarc. No idea what it fits, but there are 2 24mm headstock threads in existence. M24 may actually define one of them.

First of all, you must be sure that your lathe threads are a standard M24x3

Yandles, Record SC4 with woodscrew & faceplate ring £140
- https://www.yandles.co.uk/record-power- ... age/p17781

Stiles & Bates, Supernova2 & woodworm screw £130
- https://www.stilesandbates.co.uk/produc ... n/SN2-IINS

G & S Timber have the SuperNova 2 chuck with woodworm screw & faceplate ring, but not with your insert. £135
They do have an M24 insert which they might swap out for you.
- https://www.toolsandtimber.co.uk/nova-s ... k-packages

Patriot is £50 dearer
- https://www.stilesandbates.co.uk/browse ... 69/level/4

Haven't checked carriage charges.

CHJ":2hx2zy9e said:
...A engineering style 3 jaw chuck will not hold wood components safely for 90% of wood turning activities. (too small a contact area compressing wood) ...
That's not strictly correct CHJ. You are assuming that using a metal-working chuck also demands that you use the default 'hard' jaws. It is possible to use soft jaws which can be machined to match any specific diameter needed - If you have a metal-working chuck you probably have a metal-working lathe as well.

I use soft jaws in my metal-working chucks both 'as is' and as 'carriers' for jaws made from steel, acetal & even wood (Oak, Mahogany, Beech).

Notwithstanding that, if you are considering a new purchase then a 4 jaw scroll chuck ought to be at the top of your list.

J-G":2vqz8yn8 said:
CHJ":2vqz8yn8 said:
...A engineering style 3 jaw chuck will not hold wood components safely for 90% of wood turning activities. (too small a contact area compressing wood) ...
That's not strictly correct CHJ. You are assuming that using a metal-working chuck also demands that you use the default 'hard' jaws. It is possible to use soft jaws which can be machined to match any specific diameter needed - If you have a metal-working chuck you probably have a metal-working lathe as well.

I use soft jaws in my metal-working chucks both 'as is' and as 'carriers' for jaws made from steel, acetal & even wood (Oak, Mahogany, Beech).

Notwithstanding that, if you are considering a new purchase then a 4 jaw scroll chuck ought to be at the top of your list.

Yes, but .......
Chas's answer was a generalisation to a novice question. If we get too far advanced, then the OP doesn't know which bits of information are relevant & which are not. :) :)

Back