I just bought something. Can you guess what it is

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nev":15uhydy9 said:

Bingo

ypwIZpR.jpg

sunnybob":p2f9klrx said:
does the number plate start SJH?

No, but it's had a few reg's in it's history. I'll have a look through when I get it all.

There can't be many of those driving around? I haven't seen an esprit on the road for some time, I don't think I have ever seen a jps one

Originally it was planned to make 100 for UK, 100 for USA and 100 for rest of world (Row).
I think in the end they made 134 in total, but typical Lotus, there not quite sure.
At present there are about 40 complete UK ones I believe.
I've been looking for 3-4 years and veiwed half a dozen, this was the best of the lot and at correct money. Few things wrong with it in terms of it been correct but it's close.
They couldn't call it a JPS as sponsership had ended by the time they went on sale so it's officially the "world champion commererative edition", mario andretti being the world champion driver.

Steve Maskery":1xdga6hb said:
Good game, Bob, good game.

Indeed, someone else needs to keep it going ................ anyone care to post a few carefully cropped images

A mate of mine who used to have a yellow Elite or was it Elan, I'm not good on "Lotii, but hence the name "Yellow Peril", once told me that LOTUS stands for "Lots of trouble, usually serious"! Never having had one I wouldn't know.

I also had a mate in the '70s who had a Lotus "bread van". What were they called again - something beginning with E no doubt?

My first ever car, back in the mid '60s, was a 1948 3.5 litre Jaguar saloon - rod-operated Bendix drum brakes and (I think) 3, maybe 2 big SU carbs, amongst other peculiarities. At the time I was in the RAF and we moved from Yorkshire to Germany so because, amongst other things, the driver's and front passenger doors opened forwards, apparently a big no-no in Germany at the time, I sold it for 50 quid.

Sorry, thread drift, enjoy your 2nd (3rd) childhood mate. I presume you have covered work space and all the tools?

AES":2ws8uj6j said:
A mate of mine who used to have a yellow Elite or was it Elan, I'm not good on "Lotii, but hence the name "Yellow Peril", once told me that LOTUS stands for "Lots of trouble, usually serious"! Never having had one I wouldn't know.

I also had a mate in the '70s who had a Lotus "bread van". What were they called again - something beginning with E no doubt?

My first ever car, back in the mid '60s, was a 1948 3.5 litre Jaguar saloon - rod-operated Bendix drum brakes and (I think) 3, maybe 2 big SU carbs, amongst other peculiarities. At the time I was in the RAF and we moved from Yorkshire to Germany so because, amongst other things, the driver's and front passenger doors opened forwards, apparently a big no-no in Germany at the time, I sold it for 50 quid.

Sorry, thread drift, enjoy your 2nd (3rd) childhood mate. I presume you have covered work space and all the tools?

The E was a Europa, mid Renault engined model.

Elan or Elite? The Elan (older) was much more simple than the Elite and hence more reliable.

As for Bob's Esprit, had 3 or 4 of those, last one was the Essex Oil version (I think), dry sumped and turbo bolted on. Didn't like the Morris Marina door handles much but the standard S3 was probably the best handling car I had ever driven at the time. Never had the chance with the later S4s or indeed the V8 version.

Noel":rrzce698 said:
As for Bob's Esprit, had 3 or 4 of those, last one was the Essex Oil version (I think), dry sumped and turbo bolted on.

Noel, the Essex are the most sort after, the last one to actually sell went for £120000 ish.

I'm spitting my dummy out, I'm sure I said a Lotus first. I had the S2 in the 90's, for a number of years but after driving 300 miles in 2 years I decided to sell it. That was the only car I ever made money on.

doctor Bob":1no02uph said:
Noel":1no02uph said:
As for Bob's Esprit, had 3 or 4 of those, last one was the Essex Oil version (I think), dry sumped and turbo bolted on.

Noel, the Essex are the most sort after, the last one to actually sell went for £120000 ish.

Should've kept it then, think I only made 300 quid on it, but had to make a living.
Was up at the factory at Hethel a few times, got thrown out of a workshop I had wondered into where there was a V8 sitting on a engine rack (later learnt it was for the Esprit).

Nice car. I always wanted either an Esprit in black or a black 911. I went for the latter and owned it for 8 years as a daily driver in the late 90's and early 00's. I sold it in about 2005 I think, and the prices have rocketed since then.

I remember the Scalextric I got for Xmas in the late 70's had the JPS Lotus 77 F1 car.

Back