Dibs...your tale is all too resonant. I really have no idea why there are so many instances of this across the board. Not only with finance but utility companies such as EON. Are they understaffed? Are the staff so poorly chosen ? Or lack the intelligence to actually understand/follow-through/comprehend what they are doing Or is it that the staff simply couldn't care less ? Or too busy worrying about being snowflakes? Or desperate to check their Faecebook/Tweeter/InstantBanalGram/Grindr/Tinder/social-effing-waste-of-oxygen-media site ?
I'd probably pondered on such things in the past but only recently read of the following - The "Peter Principle" - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_principle
and it struck me as probably describing a great deal of the people that fit in the categories you mention above.
That and a few other gems like
- "if there's an issue that could make things difficult\etc for someone and they are confronted, there's only 2 real choices, admit the truth or lie. Be prepared for most to lie."
- "if there's some kind of reward, financial, tenure or other, be prepared for the majority to lie."
It doesn't apply to everyone or to ALL - or anyone here
- but it's applying to more and more people in life. Maybe a sign of the times or maybe it's always been this way but due to the instant nature of communications and the tinternet more folk are able to find out about other peoples experiences, which 10, 20, 30 or more years ago, you couldn't.
I'm defintely seeing more and more of the Peter Principle at work, at work so to speak. Astounding the ninycompoops that are in positions where a brain cell is actually required, but they don't seem to have one.
Incidentally I heard on the radio about H&M and it's hoodie - http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/hm- ... 49306.html
- it was Radio 4. Yep I've joined that club now. LOL
Putting aside the specifics of the story - the presenter on R4 mentioned that there would have been a SPIM at H&M when the hoodie campaign would have been approved. A SPIM is a Smart Person In Meeting whom everyone either agreed with, were too scared to say anything or were on the same wavelength, i.e. full of it, so no one spoke up. The ad campaign got approved and the presenter said "I wouldn't want to be that SPIM now." LOL
I think it's a good acronym - SPIM. LOL
Might be old hat to some but something new for 2018 for me (in the formal sense)
- has it got my name on it?
- am I liable or responsible for it?
- is it going to directly affect me?
- did I make it or build it?
and simailar variations - if the answer is "No" - then couldn't give a fig about it. And no amount of management BS bingo is gonna change that. LOL