HRs Completed.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, those look fabulous. Well done. Will you be documenting the build? It would be a really interesting.

Impeccable, they look absolutely flawless.

=D>

Have you cut any moulding with them?

Very nice Swagman.

But aren't the blades a little short? how do you adjust the depth of cut apart from tapping the front and back, as the blade doesn't stick out past the wedge.

Pete

Details on the finish;

Sanded back to 400 grit.
2 coats of Danish Oil.
48 hrs to harden.
Rubbed back with Pumice.
1 coat of Paste Wax.
Power buffed to a satin sheen.

Prepped some Aust. Cedar to test out the hollow & rounds and the recently purchased moulding planes. 1st up was the 1/2" side bead planes.

Stewie;

The stock was then ripped down to a smaller dimension, and a reeded profile was completed using the 1/2" hollow, and snipe bills.

Used the 1/2 rounds moulding planes today to shape an 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" single Cove moulding.

After marking out the end profiles, the majority of waste was then removed on the table saw.

Then it was on to using the moulding planes, followed by a final clean up with sand paper.

Lovely planes

On a TV Upcycling Programme, somebody dumped a load of HRs only to be rescued and upcycled. Fortunately the upcycler refused, restored them and put them to use.

Rod

swagman":3cfprti4 said:
After marking out the end profiles, the majority of waste was then removed on the table saw.

:shock:

Rather you than me!

A safer way is on a spindle moulder like this,
Spindle-Kerfing-01.jpg

Spindle-Kerfing-02.jpg

Spindle-Kerfing-03.jpg

You could probably just do it on a decent sized router table using slot cutters,
Router-Cock-Up-01.jpg

In any event I'd only do such a laborious and painstaking job of stock removal for end grain moulding used on edge banding. For long grain moulding, and in keeping with the hand tool ethos, I'd just hog out the waste in five or six cruder, bigger steps with a plough or rebate plane.

Still, your workshop so your rules, and the planes look really superb! Although I am intrigued by the point Pete raised, what made you break with convention and have the wedges longer than the irons?

Attachments

• Spindle-Kerfing-01.jpg
    Spindle-Kerfing-01.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 480
  • Spindle-Kerfing-02.jpg
    Spindle-Kerfing-02.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 479
  • Spindle-Kerfing-03.jpg
    Spindle-Kerfing-03.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 480
  • Router-Cock-Up-01.jpg
    Router-Cock-Up-01.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 479
Custard; the length of tang was governed by the length of irons I had available in the workshop.

To assist future depth adjustment I applied a 25 degree bend to the top 1" of tang length.

Stewie;

swagman":1bddih74 said:
Custard; the length of tang was governed by the length of irons I had available in the workshop.

Fair enough Stewie. There are plenty of old moulding planes where the tang has broken off, so there's no question but that they're fully usable no matter how long the tang is.

Back