How toxic is wood when dry

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalboy

Established Member
Reaction score
We all read about different woods being toxic in various degrees for example yew and laburnum but does this toxicity exist when it is dry or is it just in the green state, or in some instances is it toxic no matter if it is green or dry.

Is there anything stating which wood are toxic when green, or it remains toxic when dry.

The amount of moisture in wood should have very little effect on how toxic it is, however it may change the way that those toxic elements are dispersed for example wetter wood creates less fine dust and the dust is heavier, meaning it settles faster and is less likely to be inhaled or get into the eyes to it will be less irritant.

This is an assumption based on 10 year old A-level science knowledge so I could be completely wrong. Maybe some other guys have a better understanding.

In my opinion the drier the wood the finer the dust which is more pervasive. My lungs have a particular dislike of dry Yew :( airsheild beats that.

I have read recently that anyone with a nut allergy can have a reaction to turning wood of nut bearing trees ie walnut since the wood contains the same allergens as the nut so good dust extraction or wearing a mask when sanding is advisable. Also consider other people who may be in your workshop especially visiting children,

I've found as I've got older that some woods I used with no ill effects in my youth now cause rashes and even bad dermatitis in one case.

If the dermatitis is caused by some woods then I have an opposition case in that my hands have been covered with dermatitis since I haven't been able to get near my lathe and wood for the past year.

Our new house is just around the corner now so I am hoping that it's going to change??? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

nasty and you can't rush it. I was out of the shed for months because of the dermatitis and only just got back in. I'm certainly cleaner now with all the showers ;)

Fine dust from working dry wood is a problem coming into contact with mucus layers and lungs for instant reaction and long term cancer risk if your lungs can't eject it.

Wet wood is also a skin contact sensitizer and whether you can smell it or not any volatiles that are given off are entering your lungs for maximum exposure.

Many forestry workers handling some of the exotics in poorly controlled locations are seriously dibilitated during logging operations due to handling woods with high volatile content. The photo-oxidants are harmful to humans, as they cause irritation in the respiratory tract and in sensitive parts of the lungs. These can be a problem if you handle wood in kiln drying and wood pelleting dryers.

Just be aware and take care.

Back