Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, CHJ, Noel, Charley

By Sheffield Tony
custard wrote:Regarding secret mitre dovetails. I have cut them, but only as a training exercise. I've never had a job where it might make commercial sense to incorporate them into a piece of furniture...and I probably never will! To sink a great deal of time into making something that's deliberately obscured from the client doesn't sit well with the parlous financial reality of custom furniture making.

When I saw the thread title, I thought that's what you would be making.

Without commercial pressure or the current fashion for exposed joinery, I have used them a couple of times in furniture. As a teenager I made some individual bookshelves with secret mitered dovetails to attach ends, which had keyhole plates to hang on the wall. The other was a HiFi stand with quite slim framing which also served as handles by which it could be lifted. In both cases, I wanted a strong loadbearing mitred joint. And a challenge :D
By thetyreman
hi, I finally had a go at it last night using some scraps of pine, it's not perfect and I didn't use a pairing block but for a real project I will take more care. Here's some pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By El Barto
Bit late to the party but thanks Custard for such a useful thread. Tyreman, that first attempt is incredibly good. I doff my hat to you.

And definitely get some holdfasts! I have the Simon James ones (as does Custard by the look of it) and I can't tell you how amazing they are. They get used for absolutely everything.
By Benchwayze
Great thread Custard. The mitre always adds class to a dovetail.
Nice one.

John
By Derek Cohen (Perth, Oz)
Custard, I mentioned this when I posted a build in January this year (2019), that is, I read and re-read your to-do several times before attempting my first mitred through dovetails. The main difference between yours and mine was that you went pins first, and I went tails first. I wanted to thank you again here, but also provide a link to my article for those wanting to do it the “other way” :)

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/ ... able2.html

Later in the coffee table build, the table ends were rounded over. The effect of the mitred corners really enhanced the finished piece. This is the start of a joint which will now be used by preference.

Regards from Perth

Derek
By Bodgers
Super craftsmanship, love that mid century design as well, It reminds me of a similar piece done by "snedkersind" (on Instagram) a Danish cabinet maker...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCvCblxp08K ... _copy_link
Bodgers wrote:Super craftsmanship, love that mid century design as well, It reminds me of a similar piece done by "snedkersind" (on Instagram) a Danish cabinet maker...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCvCblxp08K ... _copy_link

I’ve not seen that before. Beautiful work. The technique I used looks to be the same - adding a curved fillet to the inside corner to create an even thickness when rounding the dovetails.

Regards from Perth

Derek
tomthumbtom8 wrote:I would like to know if I may what is the thinnest stock acceptable for a dovetail joint

its just a thought

I made this box ...

... for a shoulder plane ...

The sides were 1.5mm thick ... :)

Regards from Perth

Derek