How much dust does a scroll saw create?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keith1200rs

Reaction score
I am planning to do some scroll sawing with the goal of making a wooden gear clock and automatons. Before that I will try some simpler things - shapes, puzzles and maybe some intarsia or fretwork. I have no idea if I will enjoy it or be any good at it!

A friend has offered to lend me a scroll saw for a few months which saves the problem of deciding what to buy there. My main concern is dust. I will buy a decent face mask, but I want to minimise how much dust ends up in the garage.

My working area will be some space in a 45' long garage. I initially thought of using a Camvac CGV286-3 - around £200 so I could also vent the motor outside and keep the noise down. I would need to sort out the coupling to the scroll saw which I think will be 35mm rather than 100mm. I then wondered whether a V-Tuf Class M Mini extractor would be suitable cheaper but only holds 8 litres in the bag. They are only around £120. Larger ones hold 18 litres but then the price is similar to the Camvac.

Is 8 litres enough for a few hours sawing on smallish objects? Will the Camvac clean the air better than the V-Tuf? Both seem to have similar air flow - 54l/s for the Camvac and 57l/s from the V-Tuf (based on 205m3/h figure for the V-Tuf).

The other thing I wondered about was whether an air filter such as the Axminster AC15AFS would be worthwhile as well? My thought was that it would help to minimise what settled on everything in the garage if I let it run for a few hours after sawing. It depends on how well the vacuum on the scroll saw works.

I have read lots of dust threads on the forum here, including the sticky dust thread, and elsewhere, but still end up indecisive on the matter of the best way to extract the dust.

I tried to post links to the items I was referring to but do not have permission to do that.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

A scroll saw only produces a small amount of dust,and an 8 litre bag will keep you going for a very long time.. However, the dust is fine and stays in the air for a long time. I am not sure if all scroll saws are the same - my vac extracts dust effectively underneath the saw, but dust on top of the workpiece is simply blown to one side and ends up in the air. I always use breathing protection, and I have bought ( but not yet installed ! ) a ceiling mounted air filter.
I only bought the saw for a bit of fun, but it has turned out to be useful for all sorts of jobs and it is in almost daily use.

Back