How good is the saw on a Coronet Major

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oisin

Reaction score
Hi,

I've just bought a Coronet Major as part of equipping my retirement woodshop - I don't yet have a table saw - I was thinking of a Bosch GTS 10 - but both funds and space are tight so before I shell out for a seperate table saw, I was wondering if anyone rates the Coronet saw and could point me to it's strengths and, more especially, it's weaknesses.

Initially I'll be doing fairly basic woodwork - I'm also a beekeeper so think building hives, etc - but, eventually as i get my eye in and become more experienced/confident, I'd like to try some finer quality work.

Thanks,

Oisin

Have never owned a Major, but had several other sorts of Coronet. Good points are that they are well made, accurate and excessively versatile. Bad points are few, but for me, the worst thing about the saw is the tilting table rather than spindle. Difficult to use for any angled cuts except on small workpieces. Also need to be a bit careful if using other bits of the machine, as that saw blade is always whizzing round.
In the end, it's down to you as user. Does the precision and versatility outweigh the odd inconveniences for your particular style of work? Your comment about fine work makes me think you'd actually be very happy with it; it's definitely more a machine for a cabinet maker than a site carpenter. (With apologies to any site carpenters who feel insulted by that!)

Back