How crass are Highland council

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Droogs

Not the Sharpest Moderator in the box
Reaction score
Just announced on Friday that Highland Council approved 8 votes to 12 to build a housing estate on culloden moor (including within the battlefield conservation area itself). Totally dismay and disgusted. Might as well build a takeaway at the Centaph. Bunch of useless W******

Why does it matter? Just about every inch of this country will have been fought over and seen death at some point whether it be war, murder, accident or just natural causes.

Rorschach":18b7zjzz said:
Why does it matter? Just about every inch of this country will have been fought over and seen death at some point whether it be war, murder, accident or just natural causes.

Well, probably, but...

I think that Culloden has a unique and special place in Scotland's history. There is an excellent visitor centre there and it is fascinating to look round the site. I can strongly recommend a visit.

Sadly, the area around it is rapidly becoming suburbanised and it seems this is just another step towards that. This latest decision does seem particularly stupid (although places like Cumbernauld are in a different league).

In other news, this article gives an interesting perspective on the way we humans are changing the face of the earth: https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... mals-study

Cheers, W2S

For how long do you wait though?
No-body alive now knows anyone that died there. What significance does a field hold? No building or object is being destroyed here for the houses, it's not the same as removing a memorial or historic building (though we still do that all of the time as well).

Rorschach":1tzb213h said:

Clearly not to you but It matters to a lot of people just as do those sites and memorials from more recent wars. :shock: Maybe places like Stonehenge and Hadrians wall next.

You are comparing different things. For recent wars there are people alive now who fought or are related to/knew people who fought or died. Also Hadrians wall and stonehenge are physical objects, not a field where something may or may have happened on some/all/none of it.

You didn't mention what type of housing is being built, if it is for young families then I would say their needs outweigh the romance of a now 273 year old battle.
However if it is so a load of over paid fat cats can stay close to some nearby golf course for two months a year then I would say, 'Shame'

In putting down my thoughts I have to state that, I know not the area; the Highlands of Scotland being so far north for me I would probably get nose bleeds. My Grandfather spent the whole of WW1 stationed at Scapa Flow, he never came home on leave, it was too far!

This seems very silly to me. The site has huge historic and cultural significance and it's not like there is a shortage of space in the HIghlands.

Just to add that this feels like lazy planners - Inverness is really starting to sprawl outwards and is spoiling the feel of the place.

it sounds like the area should have been protected against this kind of thing, councils seem to get away with a lot thesedays, right near where I live they are building a useless 150 million pound bypass, right through ancient woodland and greenbelt land that was supposed to be protected, bribery goes a long way.

stuartpaul":bu7dqjfc said:
And unless you have definitive proof those either 'suggesting' or stating bribery is involved should wind their necks in!

I know for a fact certain members of council for a town in the north west of England (just south of the Lake District) were bribed to approve the building of an industrial works. It does happen!

For me it's just dishonourable, no known battlefield should be built upon, especially when it is known to still contain the remains of the fallen. Now they are building 16 luxury homes on the site of the last major battle on the mainland and the battle that basically shape what it is to be British within the UK. Remember more Scots fought for the government than did for Charlie's cause. Culloden wasn't Scots v English it was Catholic Jacobite Rebels against the rest of the UK. the events of this battle changes UK politics and socio-economics forever, resulted in the "ethnic cleansing" of the Highlands of any persons likely to revolt in the future by forced relocation. And eventually gave the workd its view of Scotland as the desolate,windswept majestic empty place it is. Scotland still has less population than London but the diaspora is around 45 million. the events that took place had a huge inpoact on the UK as a whole not just the north of Scotland and it should be treated as such.

On top of this, the remains that are still on the battlefield area are those of the wounded, deliberately killed and left to rot by decree and sanction by Wade. For me (as a retired professional soldier) it is just as bad as if they did the same to Naseby or any other Battlefield or site of mass murder from near history. I'm as disgusted with the Scottish Government's path in this as well. At no point have I alleged any bribery taking place, but i do see a bit of greed showing it's ugly head IMO

Woody2Shoes":2qmgx1pi said:
I think that Culloden has a unique and special place in Scotland's history. There is an excellent visitor centre there and it is fascinating to look round the site. I can strongly recommend a visit.
It may have ended there, but it started at Glenfinnan... coincidentally, so did I. We went up there on our honeymoon so SWMBO could see where I was born, and so I could make fun of her Lake District idea of "mountains"!
Unfortunately, the main reason most people go there now is to see some bridge that was in Harry Potter briefly.

However, this move is complete BS. Not only has someone granted permission for this, but the developer actually had the gall to ask permission in the first place.

"The battlefield has been inventoried and protected by Historic Scotland under the Historic Environment (Amendment) Act 2011" (from Wiki).
So much for that legal protection, then... Guess I'll go build an amusement park on Passchendaele, a car park on Verdun, or maybe the Vimy Ridge shopping estate.

Just done a tour of scotland (2nd one) already planning the next , plenty of open land in scotland no need to build on sites like this.
Tourism need places for people to go to and spend money in the process, last time I was at Culloden so was two bus loads of Americans all spending in the area. Go build the homes yes but just down the road a bit.

Is my workshop to small or have I too much stuff?

Rorschach":24ux6se1 said:
You are comparing different things. For recent wars there are people alive now who fought or are related to/knew people who fought or died. Also Hadrians wall and stonehenge are physical objects, not a field where something may or may have happened on some/all/none of it.

No I'm not! Fast forward a generation or two and the sites would be similar and there are families who can trace their family tree a very long way back.

I field btw is very definitely a "physical object". Or is the grass I cut from mine every week just imaginary. :lol:

Is already said, there are plenty of alternative sites available still in the UK just perhaps not so profitable for the builders.

Just come back from a few days with the caravan in the Borders, beautiful area and we're likely to include the battle sites once again in the highlands later this summer.

Lons":141gg5ri said:
Rorschach":141gg5ri said:

No I'm not! Fast forward a generation or two and the sites would be similar and there are families who can trace their family tree a very long way back.

I field btw is very definitely a "physical object". Or is the grass I cut from mine every week just imaginary. :lol:

Is already said, there are plenty of alternative sites available still in the UK just perhaps not so profitable for the builders.

Just come back from a few days with the caravan in the Borders, beautiful area and we're likely to include the battle sites once again in the highlands later this summer.

In a generation or two my opinion would change as there would be no living relatives left. Family tree doesn't count for anything, we are all related to everyone if you go back far enough so that argument is fallacious.

As to physical objects I think you know exactly what I meant and how a field and a wall differ in that regard.

Oh and actually regarding WW1 and WW2, how many of those battlefields have been preserved? Last time I checked the cities and towns have been rebuilt and expanded.

Rorschach":btn98hea said:
In a generation or two my opinion would change as there would be no living relatives left. Family tree doesn't count for anything, we are all related to everyone if you go back far enough so that argument is fallacious.

As to physical objects I think you know exactly what I meant and how a field and a wall differ in that regard.

Oh and actually regarding WW1 and WW2, how many of those battlefields have been preserved? Last time I checked the cities and towns have been rebuilt and expanded.
In a generation or two we wouldn't be alive to care but our relatives might maybe?

Of course I knew what you meant :twisted:

the fact building has happened still doesn't make it right!

We're all entitled to our opinions but enough still care about preserving our heritage to hopefully still make a difference.

No point in us arguing as we won't agree so maybe time to agree to differ on this one? It isn't a sharpening thread after all.

cheers
Bob

Latest posts

Back