Hope you can help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinytim1458

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a Nova Dvr XP lathe.
I turned on my machine and after about 5 minutes the power cut out.
After 1 minute the power came back on again only to go off again 1 minute later.
I don't even have to start my machine for the power to go off and on again all the time.
I have run my lathe for years with no problem until now.
It is not the fuse box in my workshop or a power overload as my fuse box is set up to cover that problem.
I can turn my lathe off after it powers down unplug the leads from my lathe and wall socket for it to come back on a minute later and then turn itself off meaning the boards are holding the electric until what ever trips out trips back in.
I don't know if something is overheating and cutting out then cooling down to come back on or some dodgy circuit, I have not seen any error messages from it which according to Nova lathe manual I should have.
Has anyone heard of this before or solved something like this on any lathe not only the nova lathes did you have to get someone in to fix and how much did it cost.
I am not under any warranty sadly.
I hope you can help me as my lathe is my hobby and keeps me sane.
Thanks Tim.

If this is correct -

tinytim1458":3svn5lrz said:
I have a Nova Dvr XP lathe.
I can turn my lathe off after it powers down unplug the leads from my lathe and wall socket for it to come back on a minute later and then turn itself off meaning the boards are holding the electric until what ever trips out trips back in.

Then, clearly, what you have is a poltergeist!

The Nova lathes can suffer with dust, have you tried blowing the dust out of the headstock and the circuit board.
There is also a small fuse in the Nova dvr that you might want to check out as it could be something as simple as changing the fuse or removing the excess dust. I'm not home until Friday so I can not check out what some other Nova dvr users did to cure the problems that they were getting. Les

I believe there is such a component as a thermal fuse - which increases in resistance under a fault condition, and restores power once cooled down, sounds like it could have one of those somewhere. As others have said, try to clear dust (especially if its got inside the motor) and check for any loose or worn cables. Does the power cutout if you leave the lathe plugged in but not running?

Back