Homemade Marking Knife.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rorschach

Reaction score
Something I have been wanting to make for a little while. Not the prettiest tool but it's functional, if I were making them to sell I would use a nicer wood for the handle.

All made from scraps and "upcycled" materials as they call it these days. Handle is unknown hardwood dowel from an old broom handle I think. Ferrule is 1/2" copper pipe from a section of split pipe I had to remove this winter, blade is HSS planer blade.

I went for the double bevel not sure if I will use it, but it wasn't any harder to make and if a right hander comes into the shop they may appreciate it.
Grind is quite steep so it pushes the blade tight to the rule/square but also makes a nice V ready for a saw or chisel to sit into. Edge retention should be excellent. Quite happy for something made in about 2 hours or so.

Attachments

• IMG_20180310_144019.jpg
    IMG_20180310_144019.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 786
That's a good result. I'd be interested in knowing the processes involved, shape of the blade inside the handle, cutting and fitting method etc?
I fancy making something like that using my new to me lathe, tool handles seem to be the easiest first project to have a go at.

The shape inside the handle is a simple stick tang like a file. A knife like this doesn't see significant stress so the method of securing it is not critical. It was all ground to shape on a bench grinder and then hammered into a slightly undersized hole in the handle.

I made these using old Stanley Cutting knife blades and the bottom one out of some heat treated gauge plate.
Brass rod split and glued with epoxy to hold in place, with blade cut to form small tang.

af8b431ec00b8df55e88f2b92137db86.jpg

Rod

Back