Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, CHJ, Noel, Charley

By bp122
Thank you all for your responses.

Looking at the options here, in terms of buying the holdfasts, the Simon James and Sjoberg are reasonably priced. If I can befriend a blacksmith, even better :D
But I do want to try the wooden option and intrigued by the weighted beam.

On the other hand, I have come across a different idea on YT where they run T tracks along the length of the bench and a couple on the width, use hold down clamps. This saves me from having to drill the holdfast holes and buying auger / forstner bits and buying / making holdfasts at all. Although this option will be limiting in how thick a workpiece they can hold, it can be overcome buy getting some longer T bolts.

Has anyone tried this? Not judging, but this happens to be what most American YT woodworkers have - They do love their T tracks!

My workbench top has hit a bit of a snag, where the glued up MDF top was left on uneven spacers so has developed a bow. So will be sorting it out first before I look further into this.
By bp122
Good point, hadn't considered that!
Also, because MDF is cheap, if it gets battered after a while, which will be a long while for my usage, I can replace it.
By ED65
bp122 wrote:On the other hand, I have come across a different idea on YT where they run T tracks along the length of the bench and a couple on the width, use hold down clamps. This saves me from having to drill the holdfast holes and buying auger / forstner bits

Spade bits are perfectly sufficient for drilling dog holes, no need for a much more expensive bit type. Another previous thread for you, holdfasts-t109243.html

Not especially trying to talk you out of T-track as it's another good option, I do suspect however that it may work out more expensive in the long run. And many similar hold-downs can be implemented in dog holes, along with simple peg-type dogs and other things they are conventionally used for. Also much easier and faster to drill a few dog holes than route that channel.

bp122 wrote:...and buying / making holdfasts at all.

I was just about to say there are loads of designs for user-made T-track hold-downs :) Aaaand, you don't need to buy T-bolts if you have a grinder. Any suitable bolt can have two parallels ground in (possibly the top flattened off slightly) to allow it to slide into a T-track.
By Jacob
bp122 wrote:Thank you all for your responses.......
But I do want to try the wooden option and intrigued by the weighted beam.....
It did occur to me that "the weighted beam" could be a "held-down beam" or T track, with clamps or holdfasts.
But I think the way I set it up is far more convenient - it only takes a minute to set up and seconds to release the workpiece, turn it around and put it back, and adjust if necessary. And you don't have to buy clamps, holdfasts or T tracks.

In the end it depends on the job of course
By bp122
samhay wrote:
ED65 wrote:At the cheapest end of the spectrum ones that work, apparently very well, can be made from wood. I thought I had a picture of a couple but they must be on another hard drive. Never mind, the YouTube channel Pask Makes has a vid on making these and I think I spotted them in use in one of his recent vids so they've held up.
/forums/bench-top-with-clamps-pegs-t95141.html

Here you go:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92NiggRJhZA

I watched the video and I'm really impressed how well those things held up.
I'm surprised as to how many things are made using a bandsaw!
I can't throw money at it now and buy one :(
And my skills with a coping saw are terrible.
Any other method to cut curves on wood?
By samhay
The wooden ones don't have to be curved. That was done for aesthetics.
That said, you could shape them with a file, sander, spoke shave, chisel, etc, etc.
By MikeG.
ED65 wrote:At the cheapest end of the spectrum ones that work, apparently very well, can be made from wood...........

Here's mine in use:

It's 3 or 4 years old and as good as the day it was made. Works perfectly.
By bp122
bourbon wrote:where are you based? Come and talk to or blacksmith at an event. The Ferrers household

I am based in Buckinghamshire. Not sure how far away the event you mentioned is.
samhay wrote:The wooden ones don't have to be curved. That was done for aesthetics.
That said, you could shape them with a file, sander, spoke shave, chisel, etc, etc.

Rich C wrote:Indeed, pretty sure you could knock them together with a handsaw and have them work just fine.

Just after I posted the question, I came across a few videos on YT about cutting curves the old fashioned way, with a saw, chisel and a card scraper (the last one I have never used)

Besides, as you said, it doesn't need to be curved. I must say, the DIY wooden ones are looking like the most exciting option from a project point of view. I have a 3/4" dowel, not sure it is hard wood, but will try it anyway.
By MikeJhn
Or go really back in time and use a Spokeshave to get the curve.
By bp122
MikeG. wrote:
ED65 wrote:At the cheapest end of the spectrum ones that work, apparently very well, can be made from wood...........

Here's mine in use:

It's 3 or 4 years old and as good as the day it was made. Works perfectly.

That settles it. I am going to try and make one or two and see how it goes.
I have enough hardwood scraps for that anyway!
By MikeG.
If I had round holes rather than square, I think I would be tempted to find a suitably shaped fork of green wood from a woodland. A branch with a fork, say an inch and a half in diameter, would soon whittle down to the right size and shape, taking away the need for a join. I'd then season it. Obviously, ask the woodland owners permission first.
By Rich C
I might give them a go, ash seems like an obvious choice for these, the really, anything handy (and hardwood) would suffice.