holdfasts 2018

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thetyreman

Established Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of getting at least one holdfast, maybe a couple of them,

what would you recommend? the more I do this the more I realise how useful they'd be, especially for making a groove and cutting stopped dovetails, the clamp in the vice trick is quite annoying and not solid enough feeling, another thing is I plan on making a drawer for the apron, so need to factor this into it as well.

cheers, Ben.

On the left is a traditional holdfast (it may well be the Gramercy, I can't remember), on the right is the Veritas holdfast.
Holdfasts-01.jpg

The Veritas has a bit more reach, but the Gramercy has loads more grip and is much faster in use. Veritas also make some mini holdfasts like these,
Holdfasts-02.jpg

They may have uses for say a vertical leg post or holding a jig, but I find the grip to be borderline inadequate and they're right faff to set up and use because there's very little travel to the threaded part.

One option instead of holdfasts is to design your bench with an open slot or with lift-out tool well sections. Then you can just drop in a whopping F Clamp and secure the job from the rear. This means there's no need for any holes in the bench, you can apply pressure to any point on the bench surface, and if you want to turn your bench into a quick veneer press you can load up with as many cramps as you need.
Holdfasts-03.jpg

Then there's the old Marples style of holdfast, which are secured into a metal collar that's let into the bench. I never got on well with that style of holdfast when I used them years back (there was a time when they were pretty standard issue on British benches), the collar is generally in the wrong place for what you want and it can nick your chisels, plus the grip as best as I can remember was similar to the large Veritas holdfasts, ie okay-ish but not quite as much as you'd like.

My advise would be build a bench with a slot, failing that go for the Gramercy style. If you're unconvinced and want the Veritas large style then PM me and you can have two for the price of a single new one plus postage!

Attachments

• Holdfasts-01.jpg
    Holdfasts-01.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 471
  • Holdfasts-02.jpg
    Holdfasts-02.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 472
  • Holdfasts-03.jpg
    Holdfasts-03.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 468
the more traditional type gremacy style ones look to be more what I'm after, thanks for all the input and ideas!

I was lucky enough to be able to buy some of Richard Tomes' work, back when the forum was collectively looking for a knowledgeable blacksmith, back in the old days of 2010:
holdfast-group-buy-may-have-found-a-uk-blacksmith-t42256.html

They resemble the Gramercy ones, being forged from 3/4" steel bar. They work beautifully and are so quick that you don't get tempted to leave them in the wrong position. Definitely something worth having. I wouldn't want to have to manage without them.

Sadly, that option is no longer available.
However, if I needed to buy that style, I'd go to Workshop Heaven and buy their current stock, which look very similar. https://www.workshopheaven.com/simon-ja ... auger.html

I’ve got a pair of the Simon James ones from WH and they do work a treat. I find I don’t use them as much as I thought I would if I’m honest. They do come out from time to time though and when they are needed they provide a quick, secure and easy means of temporarily fixing stuff to my bench.

I was going to ask about the Simon James ones, they seem to be a very fair price and I was thinking of ordering some when I finish my bench.

He's on/was ebay but for the same price (at the time/if memory serves ) as Mathew at WH. I can't remember his ebay name. If you're after a pair I'd go WH because delivery from Fine Tools is quite dear and you get a wee Star-M bit. Star M bits are the best auger bits I've ever used by a country mile. Just a two bob hobbyist but I know quality when I see it. For a pair I think it works out cheaper buying fom WH when you do the sums. Each to their own of course.

Bm101":1oueqvym said:
He's on/was ebay but for the same price (at the time/if memory serves ) as Mathew at WH. I can't remember his ebay name. If you're after a pair I'd go WH because delivery from Fine Tools is quite dear and you get a wee Star-M bit. Star M bits are the best auger bits I've ever used by a country mile. Just a two bob hobbyist but I know quality when I see it. For a pair I think it works out cheaper buying fom WH when you do the sums. Each to their own of course.
Thanks for that, I’d go with WH anyway as that’s where I saw them and I’ve had good service from the in the past.

Yes the Japanese drill bit that comes with the hold fasts from WH is excellent. Perfect for anyone building a bench or retrofitting an existing one. The service from WH is second to none as well.

I have two of THESE
Fantastic !!
My bench is about 2.5 inches thick and they hold great, no need to hammer them -- just drop in the hole and crank up to tighten

Expensive they are; so got family to buy them for me one Xmas instead of the usual socks & chocs

another vote for the Simon James holdfasts (and WH to supply) - well made, reasonably priced and work even in a relatively thin bench top.

memzey":qo6jo0tj said:
Yes the Japanese drill bit that comes with the hold fasts from WH is excellent. Perfect for anyone building a bench or retrofitting an existing one. The service from WH is second to none as well.
Just as an aside... I first bought a couple of star m bits from fine tools a fair while back. I had real problems finding any suppliers in the UK after realising how just how good they are. Mathew seems to be one of the few that are starting to stock them and hopefully expanding his range and stock as best befits his business. I'd be more than happy to have a UK supplier especially one that conducts their business like WH.
As an amateur I buy most of my hand tools secondhand. I'm not a particular fan boy or experienced enough really to recommend a brand on a site as diverse as ukw. But in the case of star m. Have to say I'm happy to buy first hand.
Cheers
Chris

Back