Holdfast Group Buy - May have found a UK Blacksmith

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ByronBlack

Established Member
Reaction score
Through one of my contacts at work, I may have found a blacksmith who can make some holdfasts. He works a lot for national heritage and has an old fasion forge setup in a location that was mentioned in the doomsday book - very cool.

I'll be passing on the gramecy holdfast when it arrives, and hopefully he'll make a prototype, if all goes well, and if he is interested, I may be able to organise a group buy to make it his worthwhile.

I don't know the cost as of yet, but I've asked if he can do it for a similar price to the gramercy's, I'll know more once the prototype comes back, this might take some time as it's going through a contact at work, and then on to the backsmith.

If all goes well, can anyone who wants some let me know in this thread, the more we can get the better the cost will be.

Cheers.

Don't worry, expressing an interest is all i'm looking for at the moment, no one will be held to anything, I just need to gauge the interest so that I can negotiate a good price with the smithy - this all depends on whether the prototype comes out well.

Re-read your post

I've asked if he can do it for a similar price to the gramercy's

As in the price they sell for in America? I looked up their site and it said 32USD for a pair, that's only about £20 isn't it?

Matt, at the moment, I have no idea what the costs will be, but yes I'm hoping that he can do them for around that, but as I've not spoken to him yet (going through a contact at work initially) I have no idea what he will want to charge - hence the reason for the group buy, the more I have to go to him with, the more room for negotiating i'll have.

two depending on price, if he is anywhere near here he could look at the Phil Koontz one too

Just a caution FYI Byron. Popular Woodworking (Chris Schwarz) set out to run a review of holdfasts in their Autumn 2005 issue. They found in essence that they couldn't do it in any very effective way.

Most of the cheap cast items flat didn't work (grip) or broke, and of the Grammercy and Koontz (forged) ones that did the found that good gripping was determined by subtle details in the tolerancing and surface of the bench holes, and the angle of the head.

The key recommendation coming out of the piece was that if you plan to use holdfasts on a bench that it's best to (a) buy good forged ones, and (b) drill test holes using the same method in the material you plan to make the bench from and test before building or especially drilling the bench.

Any blacksmith getting into this would need it sounds to be prepared to put lots of time in to get to understand the variables. i.e. he'd probably need to see it as a bit of a labour of love/development project delivering the ability to produce a product for the future rather than just a commission to bend a few bits of steel rod...

ondablade":f7xfcdjl said:
Just a caution FYI Byron. Popular Woodworking (Chris Schwarz) set out to run a review of holdfasts in their Autumn 2005 issue. They found in essence that they couldn't do it in any very effective way.

Most of the cheap cast items flat didn't work (grip) or broke, and of the Grammercy and Koontz (forged) ones that did the found that good gripping was determined by subtle details in the tolerancing and surface of the bench holes, and the angle of the head.

The key recommendation coming out of the piece was that if you plan to use holdfasts on a bench that it's best to (a) buy good forged ones, and (b) drill test holes using the same method in the material you plan to make the bench from and test before building or especially drilling the bench.

Any blacksmith getting into this would need it sounds to be prepared to put lots of time in to get to understand the variables. i.e. he'd probably need to see it as a bit of a labour of love/development project delivering the ability to produce a product for the future rather than just a commission to bend a few bits of steel rod...

Ian, I've read the article a few times, so i'm aware of the issues, and will convey that to the blacksmith (I'll be providing him with a print-out so that he can see what I am after). That is why I'm having a prototype made first.

I'll have him model it on the gramercy which is a popular holdfast with a good reputation. It goes without saying that there will be certain conditions/limits of ones bench that need to be considered, but we arent taking about the pinnacle of engineering here, and I'm sure an experienced smithy will know what he is doing.

I'm in (for 2 please)!

I want some like Roy Underhill uses - one knock of a mallet to set or release.

AndyT":3nf38pdp said:
I'm in!

Thats what I'm hoping for Andy,

When you all express an interest, can you let me know how many you are likely to want (I know some of you already have done) - just so I can get an idea of numbers, thanks.

ByronBlack":2bzpp6bp said:
AndyT":2bzpp6bp said:
I'm in!

Thats what I'm hoping for Andy,

When you all express an interest, can you let me know how many you are likely to want (I know some of you already have done) - just so I can get an idea of numbers, thanks.

Colin, any chance of a picture, to give me some idea of the ones you hope to have made. Sorry to be a pain mate :oops:

Cheers

Mike

hi mike

I like the avatar mate , didn't realise it was you for a wee while , was wondering where you got to , yes please Colin some pics please .hc

Latest posts

Back