hobbies treadle fretsaw i have just bought

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mac1012

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just purchased this saw for 30 pounds seems to be in good condition been restored but just been as a display item I am assured by the seller that the clamps are there and the tensioning part at back they said belt might need tightening

I sorted postage with them for 20 pounds so not bad I seen some in worse condition go for about 45 , I took a bit of a punt but hopefully be ok

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fretwork-Trea ... true&rt=nc

hope so martin ! be here weekend or early next week but I reckon I could get at least 30 quid as a display item so I will have only lost 20 quid if it dosent work

all will be revealed soon if you hear some clattering and the sound of breaking blades followed by some expletives well you know who it will be :lol: .........

Looks like a nice example of the Hobbies Little Gem.
I purchased a Little Gem myself unseen about a month ago and a friend of mine collected it for me as it was near to where he lives I collected it from him last weekend but I am not sure if it is complete.
I wonder if you would be prepared to answer some questions for me when yours arrives.

yeah sure mate no problem it might be a case of the blind leading the blind though !!

the things I tried to make sure it had was the clamps for the blades and the tensioning knob on the back it was described as good working order I think the owner has given it a lick of paint as he just wanted it for display but I not too bothered cosmetically as I want it to be a working machine , the elderly couple I have bought it off have bent overbackwards to get it delivered to me and I just received a message that they have sent it off today parcel force 48 hr which could be anything from arriving at 9 oclock tomorrow or next Wednesday :shock:

I think there a couple of guys on here with more knowledge than me if you look at the thread "wish me luck " on scroll saw forum I posted a couple of vids of gem machines working

I may ring hobbies tomorrow to see if they have any info

mark

All these machines are at least 50 years old and none of us are experts but it would be handy for us to share the little information we have.

A little booklet entitled The Art of Fretwork by Hobbies Ltd (the original Hobbies company that ceased trading in 1969) has some info on their treadle machines, it is often offered on ebay. There are several versions; one with only 32 pages but the one to look for is the one with either 55 or 62 pages as it has more treadle saw info.

Two other interesting original Hobbies booklets are -:
Fretwork for beginners and Fretworking in wood and metals

These two are quite rare being very old and are not offered often but they do appear on ebay very occasionally.

FWIW I have an original Hobbies A1 machine made before 1920 I also have the original instruction manual and parts list.

My late grandfather used to sell Hobbies stuff in his shop from 1920's to 1941, he also used to give Fretwork lessons when Fretwork was popular between 1890's to 1930.

scrimper":3l50kryw said:
A little booklet entitled The Art of Fretwork by Hobbies Ltd (the original Hobbies company that ceased trading in 1969) has some info on their treadle machines, it is often offered on ebay. There are several versions; one with only 32 pages but the one to look for is the one with either 55 or 62 pages as it has more treadle saw info.

If only someone had scanned that and given it to Gary Roberts, in the 64 page edition.

:lol:

http://toolemera.com/Books%20%26%20Book ... plans.html

BugBear

scrimper":2udg7wri said:
FWIW I have an original Hobbies A1 machine made before 1920 I also have the original instruction manual and parts list.

Is mine the same? This thread, second photo, the saw on the right. If it is, any chance of a look at the parts list to see what is missing from mine, please? Mine has part of a blower still attached but I can't find out what the rest of it should be like.

Martin.

As an aside, the blade clamps on the treadle saws are (AFAIK) the same as the blade clamps for the cheap-and-common hand frames.

Edit; confirmed for the upper clamp.

BugBear

Here is a picture of the Gem I have just collected.
The general condition is not great but is restorable.

Hobbies Gem.jpg

When yours arrives I wonder if you could check the following for me please.
The bottom arm has a pressed steel saddle that sits in it and makes contact with the vertical support

Bottom arm.jpg

The top arn does not have one and the arm just sits on the vertical support I think that there may be a saddle missing.
Does yours have 2 or is it the same as mine?
Thanks in advance.

Top Arm.jpg

Attachments

• Top Arm.jpg
    Top Arm.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 6,516
  • Bottom arm.jpg
    Bottom arm.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 6,518
  • Hobbies Gem.jpg
    Hobbies Gem.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 6,518
scrimper":12uhe3m6 said:
Two other interesting original Hobbies booklets are -:
Fretwork for beginners and Fretworking in wood and metals

These two are quite rare being very old and are not offered often but they do appear on ebay very occasionally.

Rummaging in my pile I find

"The Art of Fretwork" and "Fretwork for Beginners" by Hobbies, but also "Fretwork - Instruction Book for Beginners" and "Modern Handicraft with the fretsaw" by Handicrafts, which I think was an indirect predecessor to Hobbies.

"Art of Fretwork" has virtually all the content of the others though.

BugBear

powertools":5et02zgz said:
The top arn does not have one and the arm just sits on the vertical support I think that there may be a saddle missing.
Does yours have 2 or is it the same as mine?
Thanks in advance.

I don't know if you have had a reply to this but if not, I looked at Gem's in Google images and they all have saddles top and bottom.

Martin.

"Modern Handicraft with the fretsaw" by Handicrafts, which I think was an indirect predecessor to Hobbies.

FWIW it was the other way around, Hobbies started around 1895, Handicrafts was formed by several Ex-employees of Hobbies in 1907. There was a degree of animosity between the two companies resulting in several court battles. :)

scrimper":3dxswnpw said:
"Modern Handicraft with the fretsaw" by Handicrafts, which I think was an indirect predecessor to Hobbies.

FWIW it was the other way around, Hobbies started around 1895, Handicrafts was formed by several Ex-employees of Hobbies in 1907. There was a degree of animosity between the two companies resulting in several court battles. :)

Ah, my bad memory. Thanks for the correction.

BugBear

bugbear":2jmwsagt said:
scrimper":2jmwsagt said:

BugBear

Sorry if I sounded as if I was correcting you, it wasn't meant that way, I have always had a particular interest in the Hobbies company, both my late father and Grandfather had dealings with them both as customers and as retailers etc. I don't know why but since I was a lad over 50yrs ago I have always had a soft spot for Hobbies Ltd.

Hope my comment did not offend? :oops:

scrimper":11wc0pfl said:
bugbear":11wc0pfl said:

BugBear

Sorry if I sounded as if I was correcting you, it wasn't meant that way, I have always had a particular interest in the Hobbies company, both my late father and Grandfather had dealings with them both as customers and as retailers etc. I don't know why but since I was a lad over 50yrs ago I have always had a soft spot for Hobbies Ltd.

Hope my comment did not offend? :oops:

Good $DEITY, no. I was wrong! I now know a little more, and so does anyone else reading this thread.

Correction is a Good Thing.

BugBear

Hello all. I have been trying to get on this forum for weeks. Apparently I could not activate my membership for some reason. Now on and am truly interested in this topic. I started fretwork in the 40s, when I was 12 yrs old. I am now in my eighties. I had the Hobbies Weekly on order for delivery through my local newsagent, in the late forties, fifties and early sixties.. I could not afford a Hobbies fretwork machine in the mid fifties and made one from an old Singer sewing machine that I had given me. I arranged a spring attachment below the table to pull the blade down to complete the stroke. It worked really well. Of course it was only a very short stroke, so it would take only very thin wood. I could not afford wood, so I used to go to a local warehouse, (in Lancashire), where they blended tea, and get tea chests. They practically gave them away, being glad to get rid of them. I finally got a second hand Hobbies Little Gem, in the late fifties, which I still have and am using again in the hope that it will strengthen my wobbly old legs! lol. I have overhauled the machine many times over the years and have even made parts myself. I have bought new pressed steel arms, blade clamps and belts. The last belt I bought was for a Singer sewing machine ans was much thicker than the usual fret machine belt. I made my own wooden drive arms from good hardwood. To answer one question: there should be a saddle both top and bottom on the upright at the back of the saw throat. Without them the upright will gradually cut into the pressed steel arms. I made my own from suitably gauge stell. I opened up the existing saddle and flattened it. I then scribed around it on the replacement steel. then bent it into the shape of the existing saddles. They have lasted for years. recently I needeed to replace the leather drive belt. I went on to the net to find a supplier and spotted a video on youtube, "How to mkake a drive belt for a treadle sewing machine. I recommend anyone who has a treadle fretwork machine to find and watch this video - it is brilliant. I have done as the video instructs and have good drive belt for coppers. I hope that this post will be of use to some of you ande that you are not too bored with my reminiscing. Warmest regards to you all, John.

Welcome to the forum.
There are a few of us who have an interest in the old Hobbies machines I have 6 different models myself and would be happy to share info with you as I am sure the other enthusiasts would be.

Interesting stuff John and welcome to the forum.... treadles are bit too much hardwork for me but i love to hear about classic machinery be it classic cars/motorbikes to classic appliances.
By the way do you still use the treadle at 80+yrs old? if so must be good for ya and might get one for my wife (or get her to pedal one for me lol)
Cheers
Brian

Back