Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, CHJ, Noel, Charley

By Mark Hancock
CHJ wrote:That turned out nicely rustic Mark, might pinch that idea to absorb some of the branch wood lying around rather than just recovering pen or finial blanks.

Thanks Chas.

The customers picked it up yesterday and were very pleased with it. It'll be used at their woodland wedding in June
By WilG
Mark, what you've created there is exactly what I'm looking to make for my brother's wedding! Can you talk me through how you ended up making the pin hinge? I don't quite get it from the thread.

Also, what finish did you use and what wood is that? Looks fantastic. Did you use a lathe to hollow out the bowl area or hand carve?

Cheers!
By Mark Hancock
WilG wrote:Mark, what you've created there is exactly what I'm looking to make for my brother's wedding! Can you talk me through how you ended up making the pin hinge? I don't quite get it from the thread.

Also, what finish did you use and what wood is that? Looks fantastic. Did you use a lathe to hollow out the bowl area or hand carve?

Cheers!

Hi
I didn't make the pin hinge but salvaged it from an air regulator. Chas' post is the best one explaining this sort of hinge. The wood is yew and it was turned on a lathe bothe the hollowing and top and bottom surfaces.
By galleywood
Search for Pete Maddex's Peel lid bow - which has an interesting hinge and links to a video of how to make it.
I don't know how to link to his post so hence the suggestion that you search for it.
By CHJ
galleywood wrote:I don't know how to link to his post so hence the suggestion that you search for it.

Right click on the #Post number in the top right hand corner & select "Copy Link" from the drop down menu.
postlink.jpg