High Performance GOOD Plugs- Where to buy?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrDavidRoberts

Established Member
Reaction score
I used to have a large stash of good quality plugs I had bought while in germany, I'm out of them and need some again... unfortunately I'm really struggling to find anything even remotely good here. Screwfix/toolstation/other sheds just seem to stock cheap flimsy short junk.

Does anyone know a place where you can get some really quality stuff, that Is proper heavy duty stuff ,provides tons of support and won't fail on you? This is the stuff I want, but in at least 100mm length...: , something like m10 or m12 x100 ,that would be would be good for coach screws or any other thick proper screws.

UN0759_10031355223880.jpg

MGD-MGV_FAM-01-9274cebb.png

But NOT THIS good for nothing flimsy junk:
s-l500.jpg

I have in the past used what you refer to as flimsy junk from toolstation without problem but they have recently reduced the range of lengths they do.
The only place I have seen good quality longer lengths of late is jewsons.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DURAPLUG-RUBBE ... 3+amp+plug

These are 13A rather than M10 so I think you might have messed up on your sizes a bit there. A little pricey but undoubtedly the best plugs I have bought. Not sure if they are made in Germany. They are orange though. Which is a plus when you're in the dark. Or in a health and safety situation such as a motorway crash. They are like normal plugs but wearing hi-vis. So that should cover your RAMs.

EDIT:
I realised somewhat sheepishly while mid post that I might have misinterpreted your meaning of Orange Plugs. So to cover all bases there's another link here:
http://www.romak.com.au/fitted-bath-sin ... ange-13739
Again. These are NOT German. (Sorry Germany) However since the snowy weather, road accidents on motorways and public byways have probably at least gone up a smallish amount, these might be the sort of plugs to get just to be safe.
You can't be to careful really.
Good luck
Chris

powertools":g9xvjrdx said:
I have in the past used what you refer to as flimsy junk from toolstation without problem but they have recently reduced the range of lengths they do.

I have used them as well- They are proper JUNK! good for frame fixing or any other non-important stuff, anything load bearing or things that matter...don't even think about them.

What pcb 1962 said - Fischer nylon plugs from Screwfix. I use the UX (universal) range as they work fine on plasterboard, tiles+plasterboard, bricks (even if you drill into the frog - effectively a hollow wall of indeterminate thickness), solid block walls.

They are pretty much all that I use now
Duncan

They look exactly the same as Hilti plugs. The best I have ever used, by far.

Anyway case closed, called a friend to ask for the brand name of those I remember having.
If anyone is interested they are made by - Mungo , now only to find some UK stockists..

If anyone else is looking for actually QUALITY plugs,here is the range:
https://www.mungo.swiss/en/products/qr/ ... ducts.html
I have tried every junk you can buy in the sheds, nothing comes close to them, Fischer is kinda OK-however they have very limited range,mostly in tiny sizes,so not really for anything heavy-duty- at least that I could find here.

If anyone can still suggest some other brands that are actually quality, please list them as well for anyone else who may come across this.

I'm also curious as to the application. I use the Fischer Duopower plugs which are widely available and never had an issue - including heavy shelves, climbing training boards, wall mounting big TVs etc. I think each 8x40 plug is rated to 25kg in brick or 70kg in concrete, although I reckon they'd take a lot more. Are you wall mounting a car, a steel beam or something? The length in particular suggests a non-domestic application, since most walls are 100mm thick at most.

These type/length of fixings are used extensively to fix through door and window frames into brick, block or stone in renovation projects where built in fixings do not exist or are inaccessible.

Mike

MrDavidRoberts":1fjt84t5 said:
powertools":1fjt84t5 said:

I have used them as well- They are proper JUNK! good for frame fixing or any other non-important stuff, anything load bearing or things that matter...don't even think about them.

I think that may explain why they call them frame fixings.

The Fischer FFS frame fixing screws are excellent; all they need is a 6mm hole and they'll bite right into the masonry like a self tapper.

f3f90f354372a05d4779991e57662183.jpg

They will not bite/fix into lime stone, tried that and reverted to "proper junk" ones that have lasted over seven years so far.

Mike

MikeJhn":3lbsj4e9 said:
They will not bite/fix into lime stone, tried that and reverted to "proper junk" ones that have lasted over seven years so far.

Mike
I've used hundreds of them, many into limestone. An impact driver helps and a clean hole is vital.

Latest posts

Back