HELP WITH STANLEY NO. 78

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samlarsen

Established Member
Reaction score
HELLO ALL.

AFTER TUNING MY SMOOTHING PLANE BY TAKING THE ADVICE FROM A LINK GIVEN SOMEWHERE ON THIS SITE LAST WEEK I'VE NOW GOTTEN AROUND TO SORTING MY REBATE PLANE.

I BOUGHT THE PLANE ABOUT FOUR YEARS AGO AT AN MG CAR SHOW FOR £14 WITH TWO IRONS, IT SEEMS TO BE BRAND NEW AND COMPLETE. WHEN I GOT IT HOME I TRIED WITHOUT MUCH SUCCESS TO GET SOME DECENT RESULTS. IT HAS GATHERED DUST EVER SINCE! I HAVE A ROUTER!

FOLLOWING THE GENERAL ADVICE GIVEN BY GEOFF GORMAN THE PLANE NOW TAKES A GOOD SHAVING. THE PROBLEM WAS MAINLY THE CAP IRON.

MY QUERY IS REGARDING THE SIDE CUTTER (SPUR?). THIS IS BLUNT AND SO NEEDS A SHARPEN - WHATS THE BEST METHOD WITH SUCH A SMALL PART? IT ALSO DOESN'T FIT FLUSH TO THE SIDE FACE OF THE PLANE WHEN ROTATED TO THE "CUTTING" POSITION AS A RIDGE IN THE CASTING PUSHES IT OUTWARDS. SHOULD I FILE AWAY THE RECESS FOR THE SPUR SO IT SITS FLUSH, OR REDUCE THE SPUR? IT CURRENTLY SITS PROTRUDING FROM THE SIDE BY ABOUT 1.5mm?

ANY ADVICE HERE WOULD BE A GREAT HELP.

CHEERS

Luckily for you sharpening spur cutters is a common problem, and BugBear has come up with a solution. The alternative is to hold the blade in a hand vice ot similar and bring the stone to it. Either way takes a little care and patience, but it's not too hard. As for the other trouble, it sounds to me like you're right and you need to take the swarf of the casting. It's not an uncommon problem. Just don't get to enthusiastic with the file! :wink:

By the way, when it comes to using it, you need to start at the far end and take a shaving, move back a bit, take another and so on until you're planing the whole length of the piece. Don't ask me why, it just works better. :?

Cheers, Alf

P.S. Could you go easy on the caps lock? Makes us poor internet junkies think you're yelling at us you know :wink:

Sir, that's all my queries answered in no time at all, many thanks.

I'll try the sharpening in the morning.

Looks like the router might need to sharpen up it's act now it has competiton!

PS: Sorry for the caps, I work on a computer aided design station all day and it does much like lower case. It becomes habit.

Latest posts

Back