help with laithe choice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thecoder

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

Some years ago I had the use of a laithe for 6 months and whilst not producing anything of note,I did find the experience satisfying and theraputic.

Anyway I have decided to add a laithe to my workshop and would like your views on choice of laithe and bits and pieces I may need , my budget is 500 pound. I would prefer second hand quality than cheap poor quality.

Dave

You might just get a good old one if your lucky with that kind of money,If you have to spread it to buy tools and such,
you would be in the Record,Axminster, Avon ,range but even some of those could stretch you budget.
REgards Boysie

the rule of thumb for turning - take your budget and double it, that is what you will end up paying for the addicting hobby of woodturning
if i was starting over with a budget of 500 (buying new)
300 will go towards the lathe itself
80- 100 for good tools
100 -150 for a good scroll chuck

keep looking at ebay, every now and then a big juicy second hand package deal pops up (chuck, tools, lathe and all sorts of other goodies)

mike s":3cwulncg said:
the rule of thumb for turning - take your budget and double it, that is what you will end up paying for the addicting hobby of woodturning
if i was starting over with a budget of 500 (buying new)
300 will go towards the lathe itself
80- 100 for good tools
100 -150 for a good scroll chuck

keep looking at ebay, every now and then a big juicy second hand package deal pops up (chuck, tools, lathe and all sorts of other goodies)

I wouldn't rush to disagree with Mike at all. I would add that you will need to add budget/allowance for a grinder to keep your tools sharp.

You will find that the cost of the lathe is just the tip of the iceberg.

All that said, it is all highly addictive and I don't regret a single penny spent, even for the "learning by my mistakes"

I agree with all that has been said but would add that if you can get a lathe with a swivel head as at some stage you are sure to want to turn a large dish or bowl.
Willy.

I was in the same situation a couple off weeks ago and ended up getting a axminster awvsl 1000 and have to say i like it very much also got the k10 chuck with jaws and a chiesel set and the wide stone grinder to sharpen my tools all for a cost off just under £500

Back