Help with attachment from motor to curcular sanding wheel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manxnorton

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
A quick one, I'm going to make a circular sander.
Got the other bits n bobs nearly thought out, apart from one.
could anyone guide me for an attachment to put onto the wheel....if you know what I mean? :lol:
sorry, my brain isn't too good today.
Hope the picture is ok,
Bri

Attachments

• IMG-8322.jpg
    IMG-8322.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 942
Hi all,
Think one of them Axminster face plates (lathe section) maybe work???
Haven’t measured the thread..
Tbc
Bri

you could see if you could buy an aluminium pulley to fit the motor shaft and then bolt your piece of ply onto that.
I can't see if the shaft has a keyway or not.

Will

will1983":3aum3ha4 said:
you could see if you could buy an aluminium pulley to fit the motor shaft and then bolt your piece of ply onto that.
I can't see if the shaft has a keyway or not.

Will

Hi Will,
its only got the thread, think it about 11mm :lol:

Attachments

• IMG-8336.jpg
    IMG-8336.jpg
    797 KB · Views: 883
Looks like an old wolf bench grinder you have there.
Is there threads on the right hand side of the shaft?

If so, have you tried finding a nut for it to fit?
I wonder would a angle grinder nut fit those threads if they are special?

Presuming the left arbor is left hand thread

Tom

Ttrees":1ki2f2rr said:
Looks like an old wolf bench grinder you have there.
Is there threads on the right hand side of the shaft?

If so, have you tried finding a nut for it to fit?
I wonder would a angle grinder nut fit those threads if they are special?

Presuming the left arbor is left hand thread

Tom

Its my old double buffer, both had a whatsitchops on :oops: :mrgreen:
bri

Attachments

• IMG-8338.jpg
    IMG-8338.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 860
So has both arbors got a set screw at the back, to keep the buffing attachment on?
if so, you could make a plywood block, drill it for a very tight fit and turn circular when on the shaft
You would probably want to mark out symmetrical holes for mounting it on the disc first before turning.

Can you find a nut to stop it from coming loose?

Tom

Ttrees":3h6eltot said:
So has both arbors got a set screw at the back, to keep the buffing attachment on?
if so, you could make a plywood block, drill it for a very tight fit and turn circular when on the shaft
You would probably want to mark out symmetrical holes for mounting it on the disc first before turning.

Can you find a nut to stop it from coming loose?

Tom

Hi Tom.
the buffer came with both arbours.
rdc7G34.jpg

as you see it just secured with a alan key gubscrew, with no flat area to hold the screw (if you know what I mean, the screw tightens onto the thread)
fqakTMZ.jpg

I tried to measure the thread, but one handed lol.
jhHQVc3.jpg

thinking if I can get a nut to fit, then secure into the centre of the sanding disc :idea: :?:
Thanks pal.
Bri

Have you considered taking the buffing arbor to someone that can weld a flange to it? Maybe someone in the metalwork area of the forum can help.

It can be surprising how well a metal thread will grip in the right sized hole.
Try drilling a hole equal to the diameter of the steel, measured between the threads. (If it's 12mm across the crests, use 11mm.) File or countersink at the top of the hole so you can get started and just turn the wood onto the thread.
Obviously best to try this on an offcut of the same wood before messing up your disc.
I also suggest you thicken up the middle of your disk with an extra block of wood in the middle, sized to fit snugly over the plain part of the spindle. This will help stop wobble.

If it does wear loose, some Gripfil or similar should hold it.

What about AndyT's version with the wooden sleeve threaded over the metal thread (I would make it longer so instead of stopping at the threaded section base it continues over the unthreaded shaft - this would have the added advantage of ther opportunity to beef up the connection 'tween the shaft and the wooden platen with a series of ever larger wooden platens, when it comes to sanding platens, mass is your friend), but instead of gripfill, which is basically a non reversable solution, drill a small hole right the way through the sleeve and shaft and add a thin bolt - like am M4 or something, that way if anything does happen you can still remove it and replace.

Back