help with apple seasoning please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manxnorton

Established Member
Reaction score
hello all,
ive got 1 of three apple trees felled.
looking at put the logs under a shelter out of sunlight with air space.
but how small should cut the logs for using on mini lathe?
the lumber is cut in quite big sizes when being felled
cant see as good the lumber in this pic

this is the first one got out to view the it rained...

any advice for apple would appreciated,,,,or give it away for fire wood.
ATB
Bri

We don't have "lumber" on this side of the pond old chap! :wink:

When you say mini lathe I assume pens and small boxes?

That longish log I would just seal the ends with some old paint

Has the tree been recently felled, as in the past week?

lurker":1cvunora said:
We don't have "lumber" on this side of the pond old chap! :wink:

When you say mini lathe I assume pens and small boxes?

That longish log I would just seal the ends with some old paint

Has the tree been recently felled, as in the past week?

m8 I stuggle for words due two strokes so lumber was the only word I can muster :mrgreen:
mini lathe- small bowls and boxes
no the tree was felled about 6 month I think.
ATB
Bri

lurker":uu9qj3zu said:
In that case I would just leave as it is but put somewhere dry and off the ground

Thank pal,
With two tree to fell, it was useful to know if I'm wasting my time or give the wood (not lumber) to my pal lol.
Thx m8
Bri

CHJ":2iye33sh said:
manxnorton":2iye33sh said:
any advice for apple would appreciated,,,,

You may find these comments useful for future green wood acquisitions.

Thanks chas,
great advice pal.
whats the best sealer? ive heard a lot of sealers like paint etc With quite a bit of wood to seal the best option.
ill bet large cut wood on the North facing wall and when get suable sealer ive got shelter (a few of old Army poncho's) just nuff to shelter off the rain and snow and let the air circulate.
Then ready to fell the two other trees, eventually enough wood to turn into dust :lol: or supply others turners locally.
ATB
Bri

When available at the right price I seal all smaller pieces with molten wax, (old candles etc.) as you see commercial blanks treated.

If too large to handle this way any old paint, good way to use up all those left overs in the tins that just collect dust.
That's something you can do in the field so to speak as you cut up larger trunks, then you can reduce the chance of initial cracks starting.

Some folks find it convenient to use cheap PVA but I refrain from spending money on such whilst there are cheaper scrap alternatives.

The important thing to do is get it sealed as quickly as possible after its felled, especially when cut now in the warmer months. The point being that your goal is to drastically reduce the rate of moisture loss. It's the slowing down of the moisture loss that helps to ease the differing tensions across the log which is what causes the cracking/splitting. That's why you want to leave the bark in place but paint end grain because it's the ends of the straws (end grain) that allow the fastest exit of the moisture

Hello Chas n Bob,
Get in! I thought the wax etc from old candle hobby will come in handy.
Got about 3 types of wax to treat the ends. and plenty of it...and the hot plate can be took outside as I get the wood felled.
would it make a difference painted the ends and then waxed?
I'm just worried with the wax with heat etc, if you know what u mean.
but as I said the wood will be sheltered.
ATB
Bri

I melt my wax in a large diameter pan on a hot plate, the 'posher folks' have been known to use an old electric frying pan.

It helps considerably if you get the wax hot enough to be just at or under the fuming level, this then results in a thin uniform coating.
This high heat level is especially beneficial with green wood, when you dip the wood in you will see loads of steam bubbles coming off to start with, this seems to help with the bonding as wax gets sucked back into the surface as it cools and improves the bond.

See no point in painting and additional waxing, do remember to coat any branch cut wounds, I use a paint brush to apply liquid wax.

Sir Percy":25njv7q6 said:

Hello m8
I'm confused with cinnamon!!

I've got a big bucket of emushion and I've got my wax (three types)
So I'm thinking get the wood cut to lengths and treat them straight away and shelter them north facing and take time do the rest!!

Still got big logs to move but one handed a bit arkward lol
ATB
Bri

manxnorton":2j7ibjgn said:
Sir Percy":2j7ibjgn said:

Hello m8
I'm confused with cinnamon!!
Most popular Spice for Apple Pie.
manxnorton":2j7ibjgn said:
....So I'm thinking get the wood cut to lengths and treat them straight away ...

Leave as long as possible----as long as possible-- unless much larger diameter when you might well have better drying luck splitting them in half through the core.

Stand upright if possible, with base off the ground, or at least not in direct contact with the soil, on something firm not sat in the wet such as a depressed plastic sheet that will hold water.

My experience has been that logs stored horizontally can add as much as 12 months extra to the drying time.

But all the above is not 'Golden Rule' material, there are so many variables of location both nationally (latitude, height above sea level, inland, coastal etc.) never mind property orientation localised micro climate and so on. everyone's experience stands a chance of being considerably different.

One thing is undisputable, seal cut ends showing end grain ASAP. don't forget branch trim wounds.

Hello all,
Sorry a two years absence...long story cut short.
battle with the 'Grim Reaper' again, and many stays in the hospital.
but I'm bouncing back! well not literally but you know what I mean :lol:
2 years and the apple wood is still there..
A few people asked could I get it for wirewood.
knaaaa!! if the wood is able to turn into blanks etc.
Unfortianaly I couldn't get the wax sealing on, even though I've still got the wax n the heater etc.
what is your suggestion of length of blanks to cut? size of the individual blanks?
hope this is understandable? as you may know struggle with words sometimes, hence my signature.
Hope alls well with you all,
Bri

Back