Help Wanted or Engineer or Expert Kity Person

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apritch99

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I'm New so please be patient and ignore my ignorance in any given subject.

Ok I have recently purchased a Kity 636 Thicknesser / Planer. Everything works and I have given her an amateur service Ie: Clean / Oil / Grease etc.

She just doesn't run true but that is probably just me trying to adjust her.

OK what I'm after is an engineer / retired or not that can really set this old girl up to run true and perfect. Ideally Northwest based as I'll need to deliver this to them and pay of course.

I don't have the time or patience to attempt this myself but I know these machines are far better than most modern Chinese rubbish.

I also have a Kity Spindle Moulder I'd like doing but I need the TP doing first.

Thank You in advance, I hope somebody can help.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Having someone set up the PT for you may be a false economy. In my experience I have to adjust my PT a couple of times a year. Would be a pain and expensive to have to send a machine away even once a year. Might be better to find someone who can help you learn how to set it up!

F.

What do you mean by "doesn't run true"?

Is there a judder or out of balance or is it just that you can't set the blades accurately. If the latter then you need to learn how to do it yourself as will have to be done every time you take the blades out to clean and sharpen, they can be honed in situ in between that.

You can make or buy a setting jig or use a block of wood, plenty of information around how to do that. I'm not sure if Steve Maskerys DVDs have that info but I suspect they do.

Bob

I feel your pain mate, i'm still a beginner in woodworking and I've been plucking up the courage to re-assemble the table saw i haphazardly took to pieces a year ago! If i am at all qualified to give advice, which i'm not sure i am, I'd say that the time and money put into a good square and straight edge to fully set up any machine in your shop is all part of being a woodworker/machinist anyway. Its these sorts of skills that will save you money time and time again over a period of years - and this way if they ever go wrong in use then there's no one you need to turn to!
I'm only in north manchester so if you want to bounce ideas off one another do drop me a PM

Joe

I had a lot of problems setting planer blades and now have a permanent "Tersa Style" block. Before that I converted a Record P/T to this style of replaceable double sided system.
I got mine from Doug Perry at Cutting Solutions http://www.cutting-solutions.co.uk and he may still do conversion kits.You never have to set blades again. Just turn them over then replace them.

Geoff

Hello,

Isn't a 626 a spindle moulder?

What model is your planer/thicknesser and describe what issues you are having. I think all Kity planers have fixed outfeed tables
(not definite on this, but the ones I've owned and have seen all did) so setting the knives is best done with the setting tool supplied with the machine. Likely this has long gone, so set them with reference to the outfeed table with a couple of straight batons. If you need details of how to do this, I'm sure the internet will provide the answer, but I will go through it if you like. You'll need to learn how to do this for yourself anyway, as the blades will need changing regularly.

Is the fence out of square? Are the tables co-planar?

If there is some other problem with the running, it might be the bearings are shot.

More details as to what you mean by 'doesn't run true' what are the symptoms?

Mike.

Thank You everybody for your help so far.

Lons

To set the record straight everybody. I have the original tool for setting the blades height. I think I have succeeded in doing this after watching many YT videos as there were no instructions.

My main issue is with the Thicknesser it is definitely lower if looking into the feeder on the left than on the right. I have noyiced two screws with springs on near the rear roller, marked their exact position and adjusted one side then the other etc etc with no effect, if this was even in fact what I was meant to be doing, all is back in original position now.

As I'm a full time Lawyer and a part time hobby woodworker, I just thought it would be easier to let somebody that knows what their doing maybe ex retired engineer have some fun and earn some beer / hobby money in the equation. I really do not want to give up through lack of time on this old girl as In personally refuse to buy modern chinese and cannot justify spending the ammounts required on a good British machine if such a thing still exists.

I hope that answers some questions.

I feel your pain mate, i'm still a beginner in woodworking and I've been plucking up the courage to re-assemble the table saw i haphazardly took to pieces a year ago! If i am at all qualified to give advice, which i'm not sure i am, I'd say that the time and money put into a good square and straight edge to fully set up any machine in your shop is all part of being a woodworker/machinist anyway. Its these sorts of skills that will save you money time and time again over a period of years - and this way if they ever go wrong in use then there's no one you need to turn to!
I'm only in north manchester so if you want to bounce ideas off one another do drop me a PM

Joe

Joe

Thank You I'm not sure I can PM yet as still a newbie.

I have tried to describe my problem above in another reply

Regards

Hello,

Isn't a 626 a spindle moulder?

What model is your planer/thicknesser and describe what issues you are having. I think all Kity planers have fixed outfeed tables
(not definite on this, but the ones I've owned and have seen all did) so setting the knives is best done with the setting tool supplied with the machine. Likely this has long gone, so set them with reference to the outfeed table with a couple of straight batons. If you need details of how to do this, I'm sure the internet will provide the answer, but I will go through it if you like. You'll need to learn how to do this for yourself anyway, as the blades will need changing regularly.

Is the fence out of square? Are the tables co-planar?

If there is some other problem with the running, it might be the bearings are shot.

More details as to what you mean by 'doesn't run true' what are the symptoms?

Mike.

Hi Mike and Thank You

Firstly Yes a 626 is a Spindle Moulder via online search so is a 636. I've altered my thread for the following reason to a 636.

Ok to be clear I have a 636 Spindle Moulder as exactly this picture but the machine I have has 636 stamped on it plus a sticker, also you can find Kity 636 Spindle Moulders under google, although this picture from link says 626: https://cdn.globalauctionplatform.com/b ... 40x360.jpg

My TP is also a 636 this one http://i44.tinypic.com/5myd6b.jpg

My Problem Mike is:
To set the record straight everybody. I have the original tool for setting the blades height. I think I have succeeded in doing this after watching many YT videos as there were no instructions.

My main issue is with the Thicknesser it is definitely lower if looking into the feeder on the left than on the right. I have noyiced two screws with springs on near the rear roller, marked their exact position and adjusted one side then the other etc etc with no effect, if this was even in fact what I was meant to be doing, all is back in original position now.

As I'm a full time Lawyer and a part time hobby woodworker, I just thought it would be easier to let somebody that knows what their doing maybe ex retired engineer have some fun and earn some beer / hobby money in the equation. I really do not want to give up through lack of time on this old girl as In personally refuse to buy modern chinese and cannot justify spending the ammounts required on a good British machine if such a thing still exists.

Fence is square
Co-Planer????????????????
Bearings feel tight and I wouldn't see the bearing on a height of thicknesser issue, hey i', here for help.
Hopefully you will understand my explanation about the thicknesser above

Regards and Thanks

Back