HELP! Staining light (soft?) Wood into dark mahogany.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eltjuh

Reaction score
Hi this is my first time here.
We have taken it upon ourselves to stain our light wood dining table into a dark mahogany colour so it goes with our other furniture.... taken it all apart and sanded all the pieces. Then tried the stain on a small piece, but it doesn't seem to be getting anywhere near as dark as we'd like.
I've applied 3 coats so far (with the recommended 4hrs drying time in between and sanding it a little in between aswell)
Please help! Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I've added a picture of what it looks like after 3 coats.

Attachments

• 20170829_214638.jpg
    20170829_214638.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 809
Welcome Eltjuh, Could you give a bit more detail.
Are you using a wood dye or a wood stain (they work in different ways)? Which brand and specific colour - such as peruvian mahogany, red mahogany etc. Whether it is a water based product or one of the older types oil or alchohol based these make a difference. Also what is the original wood of the table.
This will help the folks here to better advise you

I went to a shop today to ask and they recommended using a different colour, so I got a Teak instead, as it's a bit darker and less red.
They weren't sure what the wood type was, neither am I - upon googling it looks like a maple or birch? Very light!

The stain I used was a Wilko 5 year woodstain in Mahogany (Satin).

Now I've bought a Ronseal Quick drying woodstain in Teak (Gloss).

The stain I used was a Wilko 5 year woodstain in Mahogany (Satin).

Now I've bought a Ronseal Quick drying woodstain in Teak (Gloss).[/quote]

Sound to me that you have brought fence paint! not really what you want for furniture, or is it an outside table?

No it's a dining table. But on both tins it says it's suitable for indoor furniture. The Wilko 5yr one says it's for both indoor and outdoor.
I think the Ronseal one is a bit better colour wise, as it's not so red. The mahogany one seemed just bright red really.

have a look at rustins or colron dyes, the penetrate the wood rather than sit on top like a stain. there are also several different shade of mahognay available going from almost purple to pink in colour

Back