Hegner Lathe Help Needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turbo

Established Member
Reaction score
Our men in sheds was given a hegner wood lathe. It is a later model one with 3 phase 1 hp motor & 3 speed pulleys. The first time it was tried out it was blowing fuses. I looked at it last week & it was working ok but with a noise from the motor. Then it suddenly stopped working & hasn't worked since.

I did some investigating tonight & it is powering up, the numbers on the display are changing when you turn the speed pot but I can't measure any output with my voltmeter & the motor isn't running.

I tried a different motor on it but still not working. I have never had other motor working as I don't have 3 phase but it was given to me as working.

The control wiring all checks out but there is no 'off' position on the forward/reverse switch, so you can switch from fwd to rev without stopping the motor first, which isn't good for the inverter or motor.

I might try to sort some capacitors tomorrow so I can run the motor on single phase, at least I can rule that out.

Here are some photos of the inverter, it is unbranded but with some European components. It doesn't look original, maybe somebody will recognise it so I can look for a manual. I am getting error codes if I try to reset it but without the codes I can't diagnose anything.

If anyone has a hegner lathe maybe you could look inside your control box & see if your inverter is the same.

Photo0028.jpg

Photo0029.jpg

Photo0020.jpg

Also, can anyone please tell me what thread the spindle nose is, the lathe came with no accessories.

Thanks for your help. :)

Attachments

• Photo0020.jpg
    Photo0020.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 479
  • Photo0028.jpg
    Photo0028.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 479
  • Photo0029.jpg
    Photo0029.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 479
Turbo":2jnzdp4n said:
The control wiring all checks out but there is no 'off' position on the forward/reverse switch, so you can switch from fwd to rev without stopping the motor first, which isn't good for the inverter or motor.
The above should not be a problem as far as the invertor or motor is concerned if it is switching the invertor control wiring, the normal method, it will power down the invertor and slow the motor down and slowly start it up again in the other direction. I do this regularly with my poolwood lathe. (very different from trying to switch an invertor output wiring phase)

Whatever you do do not try to run the invertor/motor unless all 3 phase connections are made to the motor, the invertor won't like it.

Back