Heavily cambered plane blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

profchris

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm recycling a Victorian wardrobe into a pair of parlour guitars. After resawing back and sides, they are about 8mm thick. I need to get down to 2mm or so. That's a lot of hand planing!

But I've finally got my thicknessing toolkit together:

Camber 2.jpeg

The dark wood plane does all the rough work, the light wood plane gets me to within 0.25 mm, and the Record no 4 gives me the final surface.

The difference is the camber on the blades - here are the two woodies:

Camber 1.jpeg

As you can see, the rough work plane has a ludicrous camber on it. It removes wood amazingly fast, and its big mouth prevents clogging (mainly). Getting down from 8 mm to 3mm takes maybe 10 mins planing for a guitar back or front.

The second woodie has a fair camber still, but not too mad, and a moderately wide mouth. It takes a thick shaving without too much tearout, so 0.75 mm comes off in a couple of minutes. The Record has a standard smoothing profile, with a very slight camber and a close set cap iron, and that produces those wispy shavings which are rather Zen, so I need to remind myself to stop planing!

A normal jack plane is too big for ukuleles, which is what I normally make; their front and back plates are maybe 10 inches long. A guitar is twice the size, but even then a jack is unwieldy because I need to clamp the plate down so can only work on half of it at a time.

Woodies like these are £2-£5 in almost any car boot sale - pick one with a thick and fairly long iron and modify it to what you need. And opening up the mouth is easy - just plane the bottom of the plane with your Record equivalent to get a flat sole, and as you plane the mouth gets wider.

Attachments

• Camber 1.jpeg
    Camber 1.jpeg
    205.8 KB · Views: 597
  • Camber 2.jpeg
    Camber 2.jpeg
    244.2 KB · Views: 597
What a useful example of how hand planes can be effective, quick and cheap.
So much more suitable for the job than an electric planer/thicknesser.
Thanks for posting.

do you have any more info on the guitar build? that's something I'd be very interested in

thetyreman":2pct42z7 said:
do you have any more info on the guitar build? that's something I'd be very interested in

Happy to document it but it's not a conventional build. For guitar players/builders:

All mahogany parlour
Ladder braced
Floating bridge with chrome resonator tailpiece
Pearloid fretboard
12th fret/body join
(Possibly) Panormo-inspired adjustable neck joint. I need to feel brave for this as I've not done one before.

One of a pair, but I'm going to see if I can finish number one by early May in time for a music festival performance.

I originally planned a pair based on the Martin 00-18M - a friend has a lovely 1930s example - but I got sidetracked!

Back