Heads up! 3 Piece TCT Woodturning Tool Set

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Phil Pascoe":1gls09d1 said:
It would appear you might be tied to buying cutters from a certain source, though -
"Tools are CNC machined to accept the exact carbide cutter that comes installed on it."

Those tools are the same as the ones that have been available from Banggood, the Chinese online store, for a couple of years. UK resellers are now selling them on Ebay too. The cutters are widely available as spares. Just take some measurements of the one you have with calipers and match it to the drawings online. Being carbide they last for ages anyway, especially the round ones which can be rotated.

This type of tool is not too difficult to make from scratch, a mate of mine who has a metalwork shop makes them. The cutters used to be very expensive before they became available direct from Asia.

selectortone":2vfzmbpn said:
Phil Pascoe":2vfzmbpn said:
It would appear you might be tied to buying cutters from a certain source, though -
"Tools are CNC machined to accept the exact carbide cutter that comes installed on it."

... available direct from Asia.

That might become an issue. I ordered some items just prior to and shortly after the lockdown - not one item has turned up.

Even if you are tied to the same supplier for replacement inserts, I think their prices are very reasonable - £4.32 each or a set of 3 for £10.79. I paid £10 for one round insert about 2 years ago.

I must say I am very tempted.

K

If I didn't already have the Glenn Teagle set, I would have snapped these up.
If you own an angle grinder you would presumably have the skill to fettle the mounting point to take a different cutter.
A good use for these is to remove the bulk of the bark, where any metal or grit is likely to lurk, on a natural edge bowl or a hollow form.

there are millions of diff carbide cutter tips.........
a little research will tell u what to buy.......
Ebay is prob the best source for them......untill easy access to Asia becomes the norm again.......
it is very easy to make ur own turning tools but great care has to be taken to mount the carbide cutting tip with a SCREW....
because they need to fit in an accuratley machined slot...not just a flat spot with a threaded hole....
no probs if u can braze them on tho.....allo easy enough, u just need a decent blow torch......
Remember u need a GREEN grinding wheel to sharpen / reshape them plus a diamond lap stone to fettle the cutting edge after grinding......
but they dont cut like HSS, it's more a scraping action....brilliant for roots and contaminated wood.....
I like my shaft made from St /Steel, it just feels nice in ur hand but ground finish steel is ok.....EN16 would be my first choice....
normal run o the mill mild steel is a bit flexi under 1/2" dia.....
I have ordered and recived a vast array of that kinda tooling from China........u can save about 50% on average......
I also have a DIY metal machine shop so thats how I know......
been told often Bangood is better than ebay price wise but just waiting until the world settles down to try it........
what protection there is on Bangood compared to ebay I have no idea...
good luck.......

Back