Hayward Workbench Build - Finished!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very very nice - a familiar illustration brought to life!

=D> =D> =D> =D>

Will you be working your way through the rest of the "How to make Woodwork Tools" booklet? :)

I agree with Trevanion on the sheared bolt. Tackle it now before you get used to it.
Neat way of fitting the lamp on, btw.

AndyT":3s8kj1k2 said:
Will you be working your way through the rest of the "How to make Woodwork Tools" booklet? :)
Ha! I love the illustrations in the Tools for Woodworking book. There are a few things in there that I am planning to give a go.

Trevanion":3s8kj1k2 said:
Very nice work Bodgers!

In regard to that snapped bolt on the Vice, have you tried drilling a smalling hole so you could hammer an allen key in to try and loosen it off? You might not have enough space for that though so maybe one of those screw extractors like these: https://www.screwfix.com/p/screw-extractor-set-5-piece might do the job. I think snapping a bolt is one of the worst feelings known to man, perhaps snapping a tap is a little worse.

I haven't tried that. I tried drilling with a large bit, which went badly and then tried something like a 4mm bit which then span off the middle and snapped.

I will give this a go.

Beautifully neat and tidy, a really professional job; and it's just so pretty that you'll be inspired to do excellent work every time you go into the workshop!

=D>

I've really enjoyed reading your write-ups and the finished article looks fantastic and I'm sure will be used for a long time to come.

Tara a bit,

SOTA

Great job Bodgers.
I've really enjoyed the build and the occasional hiccups and solutions. Fantastic result. I really like the paint now, though I wouldn't have done it, it looks smashing. The end vice is a cracking result. =D>
If anyone missed/ hasn't clicked on the youtube link, take a look.
Nice work.

Bodgers":3h7znsvp said:
These Record quick release vices are a pain to fit. Dealing with the various fitting points whilst wrestling with the weight of it is not pleasant. I dread to think how bad this would have been with the large 10" record I still have. ...
Sorry this is a bit late as you have finished (well done, looks good!)
But anybody having to fit a Record or similar pattern vice will find it's very much easier if you tip the bench on its back and fit the vice to the (now) horizontal surface of the front.

lovely job bodgers, it looks very professional. I wish I had thought of painting the legs on mine.

A couple of questions: does the lamp slide along on its little wooden block? Also, is your the quick release working on your vice - the lever is at a very jaunty angle!

nabs":20ev3pfu said:
lovely job bodgers, it looks very professional. I wish I had thought of painting the legs on mine.

A couple of questions: does the lamp slide along on its little wooden block? Also, is your the quick release working on your vice - the lever is at a very jaunty angle!

It does slide, yes. Because of the height and weight of the lamp, you have to have one hand on the top though to steady it while moving it.

The quick release is working great, but you are right, it is off angle. I released this after fitting and haven't taken it apart yet to correct it. When I sort the rear bolt out I'll do that as well.

Jacob":ffxau8rf said:
But anybody having to fit a Record or similar pattern vice will find it's very much easier if you tip the bench on its back and fit the vice to the (now) horizontal surface of the front.

It seems so obvious when you put it like that, and yet when I fitted my vice...
Oh well, I'll remember for next time!

Ta for the tip

SOTA

StraightOffTheArk":5ztbq5iw said:
Jacob":5ztbq5iw said:

It seems so obvious when you put it like that, and yet when I fitted my vice...
Oh well, I'll remember for next time!

Ta for the tip

SOTA

Tipping the bench is only possible if you have the room your bench is empty and light enough , both things make it impossible for me, I use the easer method of clamping a plank to the floor in the vice to support the weight.

Nice bench.

Pete

That looks marvellous Bodgers, well done! Love the colour choice for the frame.

Great job Bodgers. I think the painted base looks smart and suits the style of workbench. When I eventually build my own bench I plan to paint the base (black).

Latest posts

Back