Hattersley & Davidson Multistage Foot Pump

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhyolith

Established Member
Reaction score
Another pump for your interest!

This one has taken a while to restore and the flipping thing still leaks somewhere :evil: However it does now pump air so I am satisfied to call it "finished with some tweaks" :roll:

Hattersely & Davidson Multistage by Rhyolith, on Flickr

I think its early 20th century going by Gordon's information (http://vintagepumps.co.uk/makes%20%26%2 ... index.html) and I doubt its post WW2 somehow, so 1900s - 1930s seems a good date estimated.

Shame the Brass information plate has been damaged... still looks the part though!

I am not surprised that these 3 stage things never became coommon place. The complexity achieves little beyond looking really nice =P~ All the pressure is exerted on two top hate washers at the tops of the second and third cylinders, hence the endless leaking! These washers have to be very well fitted to be able to take advantage of the 3 stages of compression fully (or at all really).

The slightly later Duplex pumps by Kismet, WAD and Dunlop are far more effective as the second cylinder was inside the first, so the washer only has to hold back the pressure from one cylinder, not 2 or 3! While still having multistage compression.

Duplex Kismet Master (Air Ministry 1944) by Rhyolith, on Flickr

Gotta love those top hate washers...

Nice find, though. Reminds me of the triple expansion marine steam engine model my dad never finished, because WWII ended early, and left him without access to a lathe.

Back