Has anyone recently applied for a new Passport?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Creative99

Reaction score
Hi
I have recently sent off my application form to renew my passport. I sent it by Special Delivery and they have confirmed it has been delivered to the Passport office in Durham this morning.
On the form it says they will send you a text message to say they have received the form. I have not recieved any text message from the passport office yet and they’ve had all day to send a text. Is there any reason why the passport office has not yet texted me? Could they have lost the form in their office or rejected the form?

I recently renewed my passport using the new online system. Everything was done online, even the photos. I just had to send my old passport back. I was pleasantly surprised at how well the system worked. I got the text messages promptly. I just checked my phone and I got the message saying they had received my old passport at 12:05 on the day it arrived, which would have been 10:05 UK time.
Did you do your renewal online? If you did you would have a link and a reference number with which to track progress on your renewal. Does that show anything?

I shouldn't think it is anything to worry about - text messages can be delayed or lost for reasons outside of the control of the sender, and of course it will take them time to process the forms once they are received. You can always call them if you are worried: https://www.gov.uk/passport-advice-line

I renewed mine last year. Because i dont live in the UK I had the option of sending it to Spain (WTF is that all about?) or to make an appointment at Newport office.
Was in the UK for xmas, so made the appointment. Went there, proved who I was and surrendered the old one. Came back 2 hours later and picked up the new one.
Amazing service from a government department :shock: :shock: 8) =D> =D> =D>

sunnybob":fz5a873s said:
Because i dont live in the UK I had the option of sending it to Spain (WTF is that all about?) or to make an appointment at Newport office.
That has changed with the new online system. I am also outside the UK and found the online system very impressive.

at 10 years a pop, not sure if I will need the online service. :roll: :roll: #-o 8)

My UK passport expired last year (!!!) but because I'm now travelling much less than I used to, I've only just got around to thinking about renewing it (I also live outside UK and also hold a Swiss passport).

Last time I renewed my UK passport (11 years ago) it was through the UK Embassy/Consulate in Bern. As a result of this thread I went on line and saw that I can now do it all on line. I've just started the process today (will need new pix before I finish on Monday) but so far I'm VERY positively impressed - forms are clear and easy to understand, simple to fill in, AND (as a UK born person of British parents) I don't seem to need all that much supporting info either - I think I needed more last time for the Embassy in Bern.

Anyway, we'll see, but "So far, so good" (as the bloke said who jumped off the Empire State Building)!

I used to pay extra for the 50 page jobbie, but as I'm now 73 I agree with Bob, at my time of life I think the standard 36 page version will do me fine this time round - last time probably!

Perhaps I should now wait until next March and get a "proper" (blue) UK Passport again???

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO - that's NOT an invitation to get into "any other matters"!

the passport office, like many of the larger government departments, have been making a concerted effort to introduce modern digital services that put the end users first. The things they are coming up with are really impressive and deceptively simple (huge amounts of research are needed before a citizen uses a gov service and says 'do you know what? That was quite good'

UK Gov a world leader in this respect, believe it or not!

PS still plenty of rubbishy services out there, but they are gradually being replaced!

Latest posts

Back