Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, Noel, Charley, CHJ

By worn thumbs
I have a bit of experience with several 2D CAD programs and I have done a little with 3D modelling sytems such as proEngineer/Creo.Since I found Freecad I have been trying to become adept with it and am making slow progress.Has anybody else had a look at it?It became more interesting when they developed a machining module to generate toolpaths for CNC machines.Its a lot of capability for no cost,but the documentation really needs some effort.
By MikeG.
I was with Autocad since R14. Because of the ridiculous cost I've finally gone over to DraftSight...another freebie. It's brilliant, entirely Autocad compatible, and took me about a day to become completely at ease with it. In many ways it is better than Autocad 2D (and there is a paid-for 3D pro version, which is cheaper for a lifetime's license than a single year of Autocad). If you struggle with Freecad, then I highly recommend that you give Draftsight a go.
By worn thumbs
Thanks for the suggestion .The thing is that like you,I used to use Autocad-did the basic course twenty years ago.I also moved to 3D modelling a good while ago in the day job and would prefer to stick with 3D and Freecad does 2D drafting anyway.I find it great that at no cost I can install a 3D parametric modeller and while I can deal with very basic stuff,I wish there was more and better documentation as the developers have done a great job but the help side of things is a bit behind.If,as I hope,a cnc router comes to life in my workshop before long I will be keen to use the machining workbench of Freecad and again it is a bit sparse on the help and documentation side of things.
By CHJ
OpenScad looks interesting, seems to be considerable discussion on comparing it with FreeCad.

Can't get my head round Cad programs these days, too many years since I had to get my head round such, but I have recently been introduced to OpenScad and have managed to manipulate odd designs from the open source libraries to see how you can easily modify a project using an existing library.

For instance, the following puts the thread on the item below and only needs two numbers changing to change pitch and diameter, as a stub to the basic cylinder library.
module stub382()
{
difference()
{
screw_thread(38.1, 3.175, 30, 25, PI/2, 2);
translate([0,0,-2]) cylinder(h=50,d=20,$fn=100);
translate([0,0,-2]) cylinder(h=6,d=25,$fn=100);
}
}

tr1.jpg
tr1.jpg (10.32 KiB) Viewed 993 times
tr2.jpg
tr2.jpg (12.37 KiB) Viewed 993 times
By Eric The Viking
That's nice. One of the frustrating things about SketchUp is the way it handles curves (spiral forms such as threads are even more awkward). I enjoy using it, but much time gets wasted working around the limitations.

Do any of the above have Linux binaries available - it might be worth me having a look.