Greene & Greene inspired jewellery / keepsake box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glynne

Established Member
Reaction score
I started thinking about this in November last year and posted a couple of questions: -
Square punch
Which wood filler
So many thanks to Custard and everyone else who took the time to advise.
I did start off with the intention of doing a full WIP but as time went on..........., but I'll post what I have and hope they will be of some interest.
The start, mahogany in my moxon vice
IMG_0637.jpg

Once the fingers were cut, the edges were eased with a rounding over cutter on a router table.
However, you can't get into the corners and these have to be done by hand - which takes a while!
IMG_0639.jpg

Then the peg holes were cut using a hollow mortise chisel. To keep the edges clean, square and in the right position I used a scruffy homemade jig.
IMG_0663.jpg
. Once marked out, I could then deepen the square peg sockets with a chisel.
IMG_0662.jpg

Once drilled, I then assembled each corner and carefully drilled pilot holes into the corresponding finger socket and fixed with temporary screws.
IMG_0665.jpg
IMG_0667.jpg

The box was checked for square
IMG_0666.jpg

Then the first mistake became apparent - I shouldn't have rounded of the internal parts of the fingers....!
IMG_0679.jpg
So a new design decision was taken to line the completed box.
Its a this point that the pictures dry up due to family, birthdays, Christmas and a ruby wedding anniversary holiday.
However I think it is the G & G joint that will be of most interest and this was just copied for the base which overlaps by about 10mm.
The top is simply 3 jointed strips of mahogany with bread board ends - the ends located and stabilised with biscuits and screwed in place.
To make the pegs, I used the jig described in the book "In the Greene & Greene Style" by Darrell Peart which MartinCox kindly lent me.
IMG_1082.jpg

So then it was take everything apart, fill the mahogany with the filler recommended by Custard, allow to dry then finely sand and then stain.
Having spent so long so far, the idea of french polishing went and I used several coats of danish oil instead.
The box was then reassembled with a few dabs of glue as well as the screws - both the box and the inside of the plinth have bases (veneer on thin MDF) which is rebatted in and glued to add strength.
The box was then lined with pig suede (from my supplier recommended by Marcos).
I initially added a tray in merranti (box joint corners - cutter from Wealdens Tools) and made some tray lifts from brass bar (B&Q). However the tray was far too deep so I added a second "jewellery tray" out of rosewood (ex David Stanley Auction) which gives a secret(y) space underneath. Box trays were lined with the same pig suede.
I'll add pictures of the completed box below.

Attachments

• IMG_0637.jpg
    IMG_0637.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 1,211
  • IMG_0639.jpg
    IMG_0639.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 1,211
  • IMG_0663.jpg
    IMG_0663.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 1,211
  • IMG_0662.jpg
    IMG_0662.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 1,211
  • IMG_0665.jpg
    IMG_0665.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 1,211
  • IMG_0667.jpg
    IMG_0667.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 1,211
  • IMG_0666.jpg
    IMG_0666.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 1,211
  • IMG_0679.jpg
    IMG_0679.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 1,211
  • IMG_1082.jpg
    IMG_1082.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 1,211
IMG_2408.jpg
IMG_2399.jpg
IMG_2401.jpg
IMG_2403.jpg
IMG_2404.jpg

The box is designed for my sister's 70th (May) and should match in with her grade 2 listed cottage in Port Sunlight Village - whether she likes it or not is another question.
If you're thinking of doing something similar, it takes far longer than you would imagine. Dovetails will seem so much quicker after all of the faffing about but I have to admit I'm pleased with the end result. I might just do some dcorating to relax for a while.

Attachments

• IMG_2408.jpg
    IMG_2408.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 1,206
  • IMG_2399.jpg
    IMG_2399.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 1,206
  • IMG_2401.jpg
    IMG_2401.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 1,206
  • IMG_2403.jpg
    IMG_2403.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 1,206
  • IMG_2404.jpg
    IMG_2404.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 1,206
If you're thinking of doing something similar, it takes far longer than you would imagine.

That's the price of quality Glynne, and you've certainly delivered oodles of quality with that job!

How did you get on with the suede lining by the way? A few people had asked about lining boxes last year so I did a little WIP

how-to-line-boxes-drawers-t106375.html

Yeah I rather like that. I'm a bit of a Greene & Greene fan, with some reservations, so I quite like the large overhang of the lid which evokes the large roof overhangs of their bungalows. Most boxes are too chunky to my mind, but this one looks spot on with the thicker walls.

custard":37ov7hay said:
That's the price of quality Glynne, and you've certainly delivered oodles of quality with that job!

How did you get on with the suede lining by the way? A few people had asked about lining boxes last year so I did a little WIP

how-to-line-boxes-drawers-t106375.html
Thank you for the kind comments.
I tend to line most of the bottoms of my boxes as well as the trays so I’ve been doing it for several years. I first learned with Andrew Crawford whose methods are pretty well identical to yours and I did see your post first time around and it is really useful. The only other thing I do is cut a paper template which I then use to cut my card (just in case the box isn’t perfectly square) - I use card with one self adhesive side (as opposed to ordinary card with double sided tape) but apart from that I do exactly as you describe. The smell of copydex doesn’t get any better though!

Super, thanks for sharing. I like the coloured stickies idea for denoting matching ends.

F.

I like the coloured stickies idea for denoting matching ends.

Glynne's work is packed with similar examples of painstaking craftsmanship. Look at the way he used a bit of straight edged scrap as a fence when he morticed for the square sided pins. If he'd have jumped in and done that by eye it's virtually certain there would have been a small discrepancy in their orientation. If you want the proof of that just think how hard it is to "clock" a row of screw heads and get them perfectly aligned.

He put the patience, thought, and care in to this project at the front end, and now he's reaping the reward of impeccable results.

Latest posts

Back