Good finish for Yew

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ham

Established Member
Reaction score
I've made a mirror frame from a really nice piece of air dried wany edge yew, which I want to finish so that the figuring is shown off to perfection. Any advice gratefully received.

Never worked with yew.... how did you find it....??

Personally, I'd try some samples on some scrap stock; smooth out the surfaces with either a scraper or 0000 awg wool before a wipe on coat of tung oil. Leave that to dry for a day or two before working in some wax. I used that on some sycamore panels... nice finish... didn't loose the blonde cast of the sycamore but really brought out the figure.

Hi Ham

I've never used Yew, but I have an article about a Yew picture frame.

The finish used was as follows: -

Two coats of Danish Oil and then waxed to give a smooth clean finish. It doesn't give you any information about the wax.

Let me know how it turns out.

Cheers
Neil

Midnight said:
Never worked with yew.... how did you find it....??

Mike,

This is the first time I've ever used yew and it is very different to my usual redwood. I've found that the best surface finish is achieved by using a scraper, as sanding, even using wet 'n dry, makes the surface dull.
I'll try some oil on an offcut and see what happens. Might be a while before I get a chance though, as I've been put on christmas presents duty!

Cheers,

David

In my personal opinion a finish direct from a VERY sharp blade is best for yew - no sanding at all.

If you wish to show off colour and figure, there is no finer finish than shellac (French Polish).

It comes in a variety of shades according to the lacquer granules, though if you don't want the work involved in doing it the old fashioned way, you can buy brush-on 'French-Polish'. I would venture that Button polish is the best for Yew, as it is a mid brown, slightly reddish colour, but that's my opinion.

Axminster usually stock a good selection in their shop and they are knowledgeable on what they sell..... an nice day out in sunny Axminster!

Back