Good and EASY guides on sharpening and angles/etc

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homerjh

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All, got one of them ebay jigs (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132436418665) to go with my Axi grinder (http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ho ... der-505194).

now i need to get a dresser to flatten it, but is there any EASY guide to how to set these up, and also how to know when the tools are at the right angle?

tried it on one of my tools and seemed to make a mess of it (chipped, incorrect angle) even though i followed the instructions, but pretty sure this is because the wheel needs finishing first.

Now I am 99% sure it is something that will take time, but would prefer not to pipper up the angles if possible!

Ta

The Ebay jig comes in three parts (plus the base slides), a platform, a gouge jig & an extending arm.
As a generalisation don't worry about angles, copy what is already there. Skew chisels, parting tools & spindle roughing gouges are normally sharpened using the platform. It's the bowl & spindle gouges that seem to cause the most problems.
What we are looking for is consistency between one sharpening & the next so ensure that the gouge protrudes a set distance from the front of the jig. I think the instructions tell you what the projection should be. I do mine at 50mm as per Sorby. Axminster say 38mm & Tormek 55/65/75mm depending on the grind - no wonder it's confusing.
Use a marker pen on the gouge bevel & adjust the arm until the bevel aligns with the wheel. Lightly rest the tool on the wheel & rotate the wheel upwards by hand. This will remove some of the marker from the bevel & show whether the whole of the bevel is touching the wheel. Adjust the arm in or out until it is.
The shape of the grind is governed by two factors. The flute, which you can't do anything about & how far you rotate the tool & how long you grind in each spot. It helps to have a mental picture of the shape you are aiming for.
The instructions for the Tormek SVD185 Gouge Jig is very helpful in understanding all the different aspects. If you want a copy, PM me your email address.

Checked the instructions for the ebay jig & it states a gouge protrusion of 50mm.
I also noticed on the back a series of drawings showing the shape to aim for & where to grind if the shape is wrong.

Back