Gold Mallet/Milk bottle Mallet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 3 milk bottles and tops ready to cut up. I wonder how many it will take.

A bit less in the 2L cravendale, but a very white plastic, so I am going to be needing 20+ I guess. Job for the spring!

Well I made a big milk carton mallet, it took two goes as I ran out of milk cartons.
I had to bake the half full can in the oven at 160 fan for ages to soften the first lot then add more plastic.
The white bits are washing liquid bottle and the coloured bits are bottle tops.

Milk carton mallet by Racers, on Flickr

Milk carton mallet by Racers, on Flickr

It was a tricky thing to turn I got lots of catches, a round scraper turned out to be the best thing to use.

Pete

I didn't like the handle, I made it from a too small piece of teak, so I remade it with a bigger bit, I did two swells so you can choke up on it or give it some power.

Milk bottle mallet by Racers, on Flickr

I did use it over the weekend to carve a bowl from an Apple trunk from the garden and it felt very nice.
This arrow popped out as I was carving it.

Arrow bowl by Racers, on Flickr

Pete

which size do you prefer of the two? I have a reasonable amount of hdpe now.

The big one is a nice weight for big stuff, I guess one in the middle would be a good all rounder but why should you only have one?

Pete

The small one was a bean can wasn't it? What was the larger one?

Excellent job on the mallets Pete, particularly like the gold one =D>

After drawing back some used motor oil quenched plane blades in the oven years ago I’m banned from using the oven for anything other than domestic cooking :roll: obviously I blamed Jim (lurker) :lol: :lol:

marcros":3odix69b said:
The small one was a bean can wasn't it? What was the larger one?

Cow and Gate baby milk powder tin from when the the kids where young.

Pete

Doug B":kj76a9fg said:
After drawing back some used motor oil quenched plane blades in the oven years ago I’m banned from using the oven for anything other than domestic cooking :roll: obviously I blamed Jim (lurker) :lol: :lol:
I have had no problem at all melting the stuff in the oven after washing it in the washing machine, but I have drawn the line at some cosmetic and deodorant bottles as I don't want to take the chance of leaving a taint.
I suspect there'll be one or two of these given as S/S presents this year ........... just a thought ........... :D

DSCF0056.JPG

DSCF0055.JPG

Due to start soon. :D

Attachments

• DSCF0055.JPG
    DSCF0055.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 389
  • DSCF0056.JPG
    DSCF0056.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 389
Well he has a friend!
I started this a while ago but ran into problems, I didn't mash the plastic down hard enough and ran out if plastic.
I extracted it and their were gaps, so once I had enough plastic and tops I popped it in the oven to soften it, that took ages bit eventually I got it soft melted more milk bottle pieces and cut up tops until it was full.
I drilled it and turned it, had some problems with catches even with sharp scrapers, I eventually finished it using a goose neck scraper held low down it made nice shavings and no catches.

Mallets by Racers, on Flickr

Its got some nice swirls caused my me pushing the melted plastic down the edges of the can.
I had to destroy the can to get it out so its the last one for me.

Pete

These mallets have attracted a lot of praise. They represent an original and creative use of material which would otherwise have just been binned. Then there is the aesthetic appeal: the bottle top one is simply a very attractive object. I suppose that because this is a highly practical forum, most people would also be interested in how functional they are in the workshop. Incidentally, if they are you might want to patent them because in these days of increasing ecological awareness I can imagine a firm nicking the idea and marketing "green" mallets.

However, it also occurred to me that if the kind of waster who makes a fortune in the ridiculous world of modern "art" were to stumble on the idea, they'd be going for hundreds of thousands. Can you imagine if that p**t Damien Hurst turned out a four foot high one (and I wouldn't put it beyond him) for which some gallery would doubtless pay him more than a million and then had loads of the normal size ones made. They'd be going for hundreds of quid a throw. They'd be seen as making a vital statement about our relationship with the planet.

If I were you, Mr Maddex, I would consider going public with them while talking complete and utter b***locks as often and as loudly as you can and this time next year you'll be supping brown ale in your mansion in Mustique.

Back