Getting Sharp Chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickG

Established Member
Reaction score
Or maybe the title should be "Getting Chisels Sharp".

I'm new to turning and have some Faithful gouges and such. I picked them up "used" but near enough unused. I've found when turning I don't get a really smooth cut although I do ride the bevel. So, I tried sharpening them with an Axminster Hobby grinder using the white wheel. They're OK, but not a great improvement.

On Wednesday I was at my turning club. I got some hands on time with another guy's gouged and the cuts were smooth and the shavings were flying. At home I only get "chips" not shavings.

So, my question is this. Where do I go from here? Do I buy new tools, with better steel, that will give a better edge?
Is it my sharpening technique?

My mate at the club advocates buying tools with no handles and turning my own; which I quite like the idea of.

What would you do?

Ceteris paribus, your wood might be different and/or much drier than his. Next time you go to the club take you tools with you and compare - take a cut with his, then a cut with yours. Compare like to like, then you can compare the grind.
It's easy to turn handles, but you need a means of drilling them accurately, either a drill bit with a MT or a Jacobs chuck in the tailstock, which takes a bit more room - is your bed long enough? You will struggle to get an accurate hole with a hand held drill. I've about 30 tools (most unnecessary, and either home made or acquired from being in the right place at the right time :D ) and only a few have identical handles. I find as with bench chisels it's an advantage not to have them identical.
Ashley Iles do a good range of unhandled tools.

Many thanks, Phil. The lathe I have is long enough. Its an Axminster M950. So, it's about 6ft.

I think I'll contact the guy with the other chisels and go round to him for a lesson and take mine and some wood too.

In the meantime, I'll take a look at Ashley Isles.

You're right @phil.p they're not.
I do already have a more taper drill chuck. But for a drill that size, that could be more accurately positioned.
Thank you

Actually, not wanting to sound ungrateful, the sizes are limiting. My lathe uses MT2. So I can only get 14.25mm - 23mm.

Or am I missing something?

HSS ground drill bit with a morse taper shank. To be used on steel and similar materials. Morse Taper Numbers: No.1 Morse Taper - 2.0 - 14.0mm | No.2 Morse Taper - 14.25 - 23.0mm | No.3 Morse Taper - 23.25 - 31.75mm | No.4 Morse Taper - 32.0 - 50.5mm | No.5 Morse Taper - 51.0 - 76.0mm | No.6 Morse Taper - 77.0 - 100.0mm"

Back