geometry expert required

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ED65":1fchute3 said:
Just curious, does anyone here actually own a bokken, or a katana for that matter?
I've made a few staff and short staffs for a mate who's into martial arts.

I used hickory.

BugBear

NazNomad":20f9xht5 said:
Damn you and your ruler that can measure 0.038 of an inch. :-D

That's about half way between a 16th and a 32nd. The ruler can do that. My eyes can't do that any more if I forget to take my glasses out to the workshop.

MikeG.":3egji71r said:
NazNomad":3egji71r said:
Damn you and your ruler that can measure 0.038 of an inch. :-D

That's about half way between a 16th and a 32nd. The ruler can do that. My eyes can't do that any more if I forget to take my glasses out to the workshop.

It's nigh on 1mm, if you can tolerate being 35 microns short...

MusicMan":1vhovgys said:
Here's the maths IF and ONLY IF the curve you want is a circle. (If it isn't a circle, it is not defined).

the formula you want is

r^2 = a^2 + (r-s)^2

r is the radius of the circle
a is the half-length of the chord, 0.5 m in your case
s is the distance from the chord to the outside of the circle at the mid point, 0.02 m in your case.

Keith

Thanks for this, I've lost count of how often I could have used this formula. I really ought to write it down somewhere

You don't really need to write this down. It is just Pythagoras theorem. Draw your arc, and the sector of the circle it forms part of. Draw a line bisecting the sector, and a straight line connecting the two end points of your arc. You now have a sort of kite shape with a rounded top. The two right angled triangles have hypotenuse r, adjacent (r-s) and opposite a.

Sheffield Tony":36zkf1jk said:
The two right angled triangles have hypotenuse r, adjacent (r-s) and opposite a.

BsxmYjMIQAEDOX_.jpg

Sheffield Tony":2dh5zory said:
You don't really need to write this down. It is just Pythagoras theorem. Draw your arc, and the sector of the circle it forms part of. Draw a line bisecting the sector, and a straight line connecting the two end points of your arc. You now have a sort of kite shape with a rounded top. The two right angled triangles have hypotenuse r, adjacent (r-s) and opposite a.
Measuring the sagitta for an existing arc is easy, as you say.

Working out the radius that will give a particular sagitta is what the equation is for.

BugBear

Last time I used this was for copying an arch over a fireplace - easy to measure the span and the "rise" across that span, but hard to find the radius for the router jig.

Here's a nice website that shows you the maths and provides a calculator (the second one down) which matches MikeG's 6250 figure.

http://www.liutaiomottola.com/formulae/sag.htm

Hope no-one gets injured by your results!

I'm not talking about measuring anything, by "draw" I meant "draw a diagram of". This is how to get to the equation to save the bother of remembering it.

This reminds me of my annoyance at my son's GCSE maths syllabus. Lots of methods and rules learned and applied laboriously, precious little of understanding of where they come from and why they work. Which is, of course, the important part.

Woody2Shoes":gmvm9kq7 said:
Last time I used this was for copying an arch over a fireplace - easy to measure the span and the "rise" across that span, but hard to find the radius for the router jig.

Here's a nice website that shows you the maths and provides a calculator (the second one down) which matches MikeG's 6250 figure.

6260!!

I think
формула дъга.PNG

So,
r = b/2 + a2/(8·b)
α = 2·asin(a/(2·r)) °
S = π·r·α/180

Attachments

• формула дъга.PNG
    формула дъга.PNG
    5.9 KB · Views: 42
Hey, I've discovered perpetual motion.

It seems to have passed a lot of folks by, but my problem was solved on page two. ROFLMFAO.

sunnybob":19t5n1l2 said:
... It seems to have passed a lot of folks by, but my problem was solved on page two.

Trigonometry, it's the gift that keeps on giving. 8)

sunnybob":jttc0j9d said:
Hey, I've discovered perpetual motion.

It seems to have passed a lot of folks by, but my problem was solved on page two. ROFLMFAO.
Just because you've finished with the thread, doesn't mean it can't continue so everyone learns something [WINKING FACE]

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I just hope whoever is trying to learn something has a greater understanding (and attention span) than i have.

Carry on, dont mind me, i'll just sit in the corner looking wise. (g)

I just googled "yambol"

Hope i can still remember where it is tomorrow.

(My internet is weird and strange by turns, today I cant access the smiley page so assume there are a couple after every one of my posts)

Back