Garden shredder

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

screwpainting

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, looking for a domestic garden shredder at best value for money and would love some recommendations for something around £200.00 or a lot less ideally.

My experience with them is that the best ones use 2 meshed 'gears' to shred the material. My parents bought an Einhell one recently that works this way. I think it was about £200 on an offer.(They do a cheaper spinning blades type which is cheaper). I have used the spinning blades type but they need not to be overloaded and they can jam up if too much green stuff is put through them. Depends how much stuff you want to put through it. I have a cheap Lidl one which works but is too slow as I have a large garden now.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I guess it depends on the size of your garden. I had a Bosch which cost, if I remember correctly, somewhere between £150-200. Ended up getting rid of it as, from the storage point of view, it was more trouble than it was worth. Then again, my garden is quite small and this bloody thing always seemed to be in the way

I live in Bedfordshire and have an al-ko shredder that I no longer need having moved to a house with a much smaller garden.
If it is of any use to you and you can collect it's yours for £25.

The little electric jobs can be more trouble that they're worth. Feeding stuff in is a nightmare, because most of them don't self-feed, and one bend in a stick, or a stick 5mm too thick, and the thing jams. You'll find yourself feeding in one twig at a time. If you are just looking to shred leaves for mulch, then fine, so long as they aren't too damp. Ours now gets used for grating apple pulp for juicing, as shredding garden waste was well beyond its ability.

A friend had has a 5HP petrol one. Much more capable, and I would say fine for a typical suburban garden, but if you have a large garden with hedges and trees, or live in the country with heavier useage levels, then you want something over 8 or 9 HP.

powertools":3ptzpdmg said:
I live in Bedfordshire and have an al-ko shredder that I no longer need having moved to a house with a much smaller garden.
If it is of any use to you and you can collect it's yours for £25.

Which model is it, I may be interested, if its big enough.

Mike

We had an electric one. It was a complete pain on large sticks, and even more of a pain on wet leaves ot grass. The only thing it did well was dry leafy small twigs.

we concreted the smallish garden and gave it away. i highly recommend concrete (hammer) =D>

I am on my second. The first was a spinning disk type badged JCB which was quite noisy for a suburban garden, and the plastic housing broke. Currently I have the rather more pricey (out of the OP's budget) Bosch AXT25D which is quieter, and doesn't block up so easily. I have had to repair the control PCB once though as it burned out, jamming the shredder in reverse - all fixed now.

I use it quite a lot to make composting material - all my tomatoes and chillies will be growing in homemade compost this year, from material I would otherwise have had to take to the tip by car. I would definitely get a replacement if it broke beyond repair.

Thanks for the replies guys, I'm leaning towards the Bocsh ATX220 as this seems to get fairly good revues. The trouble is, I don't trust the longevity of any of the diy grade kit out there anymore, my old shredder is about twenty years old and the switch electrics have finally failed, but apart from that its still in good serviceable nick, made in Italy. I have had a bit of a look at the current stuff and I just don't feel very impressed with the build quality.
I suppose I'm like a lot of other people, full of landfill guilt for all the other cheap stuff I've bought and ended up taking to the dump! It seems it's either too cheap to trust, or too expensive to justify. Blithering and dithering is definitely the new rock and roll in our house :?

Hi Mike, I am completely hopeless with electrics, are they easy to fit to this type of kit?, I would definitely have a go if its not too complicated, I love this old beast.

The only complication is if the original wires are soldered into the switch, but if they are on spade connectors it should be an easy swap as long as the new switch comes with a wiring diagram, they normally do, see if you can post a pic of the original switch and its internal connections, then I am sure some of us can help.

Mike

cant get much simpler than an NVR switch.
2 wires in from the mains (live and neutral) (usually the lower two connectors but they are marked), and two wires out to the motor. Make sure the live and neutral flow across the switch, do not reverse the colours,

Job done. Depending on yours you might have to fit a separate plastic box to hold the switch, but less than £25 should see you through.

And if the old wires are soldered, which is very unlikely, just cut them. If the mains wire is also 20 years old its time to replace that while youre there.

If the thing has a metal chassis then make sure you have a good ground connection on it to the mains lead earth wire. (if the mains lead only has two wires, ignore this last bit).

Stay away from Shop4hardwareuk (abdul) if your looking for a newer Bosch!
Had an awful time with this thief and ebay and paypal
He had them all fooled, It took making youtube videos, penning a hit about a well known CEO, who's company can hack your shizzle,
to a good ol Gerry Rafferty theme :p
and making ebay confirm that the thief was using someones identity
Only took 4 months!

Always check feedback folks

Got a makita in the end, and its way better than the old corkscrew types, wouldn't want to be doing paid work with it or anything though.

Looks like a basic twin pole switch that you could buy anywhere, it does have a flexible plastic cover to give some protection from weather, but I would suspect its not IP66, have a look on RS Components, they are bound to have one.

Mike

Back