Garage floor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed209

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to put some ply or some other floor covering on my concrete garage floor but not increase the height by more than about 25mm. I am converting half the garage to use as a reception area for our picture framing business so needs to warm and dry as apart from people there will be wooden frame samples and card mount samples stored in there. The floor seems dry and the garage is generally damp free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I may be wrong but I don’t believe that will not be successful. The minimum I would have thought you could get away with is 50mm. DPM initially, 50x25 batton to flatten / level out the floor. Inbetween insulation, and then proper floor boarding over the top. You could do a floating floor with just insulation as an alternative if it’s flat and level which they usual aren’t!

Floor boards for directly on top of a garage floor is asking for damp to come up and also it’s very difficult / impossible to get it flat / not to move as you walk on it.

Make a proper false floor, its a good image for the customer to "step inside" your showroom, and it allows you to have the counter higher on your side for easier display and working.

I have 25mm jablite and 18mm chipboard flooring as a floating floor. Quick, cheap and effective.

If you want to insulate then anything less than 25mm might not be worth the effort however as long as the floor is reasonably flat it's perfectly acceptable to loose lay 25mm polystyrene or better material with an 18mm or preferably 22mm glued floating floor on top. This is common practice in domestic dwellings with the floor being 2400 x 600 T&G moisture resistant chipboard. Ply would be better but only if you cut grooves in the edges and glue in loose tongues.

In practice the floors aren't as solid as mechanical fixing and personally I wouldn't use under heavy machinery but normal use is perfectly ok.

As an aside, my double garage/workshop has a normal 40 year old concrete floor, not perfectly flat but in good condition with a sound DPM and about 5 years ago I fitted out half of it with reclaimed engineered hardwood flooring (beech laminated type) 10mm thick which I glued together and laid on thin polystyrene roll, on top of thin membrane and it hasn't moved whatsoever despite extensive use. The workshop is well ventilated but unheated except for an oil filled rad which I have to almost sit on to keep warm in the winter. Reason only half is because that's all I had. :cry:

cheers
Bob

Back