Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, Noel, Charley, CHJ

By CHJ
As the years roll by time seems to get ever more in short supply, that to just relax and have a couple of hours doing something basic without any deadlines or commitments seems even more elusive.

Not that turning has been at a total standstill so far this year, This and several other behind the scenes tasks have enforced some heated shop time during this cool start to the season.

Anyway, a couple of days Gardening says very forcefully that the back needs a rest so used the excuse to start salvaging some of the 'might make something' pile.

DSCN6189.JPG
Yew Pencil Pot/Vase 115mm high.
DSCN6190.JPG

DSCN6191.JPG
Yew 135mm dia.
DSCN6192.JPG
DSCN6193.JPG
By Dalboy
Some great pieces. and yes I know that feeling having to get things ready for competitions birthdays and other bits that have been requested. Glad you have managed to get some you time. I spoke to a gentleman who attended the show I just did and he commented on having time to do some much needed turning. I just said that it matters not what the hobby is sometimes you just need to say that two hours on a Monday is turning time(enter amount of time and day to suit yourselves).
By CHJ
Trying to avoid the frustrations of 'best laid plans etc.' going astray and decided to just walk in the shed and pick a couple of lumps off this pile and see what comes out for a while, need the shelf space anyway.
oddment pile No......jpg

The 'get the brain engaged' stuff can wait 'till the new seasons chores have died down.
By CHJ
Dalboy wrote:
CHJ wrote: need the shelf space anyway.

What to fill up again :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not with wood if I can resist it Derek, been trying to get to grips with it for two years already, only compensation is it's very dry now so machining is different enough now to provide a variation in feel and finishing.
Daft isn't it, seeing clouds of fine dust passing through the net abrasive and disappearing into the extractor providing satisfaction.
By Dalboy
Yes just finished a spalted bowl and watching the dust in streams being sucked into the extractor is quite mesmerizing will post pictures when I take them.
By Dalboy
Two very nice pieces. The shape is one that just needs to be picked up and cradled in the hands. Both have there merits but the yew one just has a load of character
By CHJ
Thanks Derek, rather basic bits of turning, think there are going to be a lot of such over the coming weeks as I sort through this stuff, just reluctant to put it in the firewood bin.
Fortunately there's always an outlet for a simple little piece to dress up with a dried flower display or fill with a few chocolates as a thank you gift for someone so they don't go to waste.
By Dalboy
Just been sorting through my blanks and some put through a thicknesser to help with balance and a couple showed some signs of splits appearing so have now rough turned and resealed so they will warp rather than split
By CHJ
Just no-brainers on the turning front Derek, but at least they are achieving a little progress on the bits and pieces shifting project and a chance to just go with the flow of past experiences and working methods to produce some shavings without too much agro.

Other than forgetting to put the nice sharp bowl gouge in its rack before swiping the shavings off the bench into the bin.
Cut.jpg
By Obi Wan Kenobi
Some really lovely pieces you've turned out there Chas, and even though I haven't a clue what the wood is :? you've got a 'pretty' looking pile of blanks there too 8)

OWK :occasion5: